What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

300 hourly

crashley

Well Known Member
Hi I am currently doing a 300 hour inspection and a lame found a bit of slop in the wings and in the antiservo actuator
when you shook the wings really hard you could feel a little bit of movement in the wings this was removed by placing a piece of 19 thou shim in the rear wing tabs the wear in the anti servo seems to be where the clevis from the allen servo is connected to the angle brackets I will replace the bolt with a proper clevis bolt and see if that removes the slop
no other problems found I also fitted the firewall strengthening kit

Hi I am currently doing a 300 hour inspection and a lame found a bit of slop in the wings and in the antiservo actuator
when you shook the wings really hard you could feel a little bit of movement in the wings this was removed by placing a piece of 19 thou shim in the rear wing tabs the wear in the anti servo seems to be where the clevis from the allen servo is connected to the angle brackets I will replace the bolt with a proper clevis bolt and see if that removes the slop
no other problems found I also fitted the firewall strengthening kit

Translation: LAME= Licensed Aircraft Maintenance (or Mechanical) Engineer.

We in the colonies call them "A & P Mechanics". :)
A newer term is AMT (Aviation Maintenance Technician)

Thanks for the translation :D I was trying to figure out what word was mistyped to come up with "lame".

Wen you hold the RV-12 wing handle and try to move the wing fore and aft, several have reported slight movement. this was often by those that had not yet installed the wing seals. The wing seals applied per the plans fix that bit of slop. That was my experience and some others. I initially flew without the seals for a short period (waiting for warmer weather).

I question if we should be depending on neoprene to take the slop out our wings. Maybe Scott can give us his opinion?

Replace W-1207B

Wing wobble has been discussed in these threads:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=88202
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=87494
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=95471
Best posting is
Walt, I had the same problem with my right wing. It would move 1/32 of an inch when wiggling wing fore and aft. Van's made me two new sub spars, W1207B-35 and W1207B-45 which are .035 and .045 larger than orginal ones. They cost $12.50 each and I used the -45 one and wing is now solid as a rock. Contact Joe Blank at Vans help desk and he should be able to help you out. The aft sub spar is very easy to replace.
good luck
Harold Irvine
Joe Gores

I was thinking about pinning the forward stub spars to their sockets but when I thought about the surgery I opted for .025 shim plates in the sockets. My wings are nice and solid now. Before that I had about 1/32 inch vertical play and noticeable fore and aft play. My first indication was noticing a click when I stepped on the wing walk as the stub spar moved in the socket.

Back