What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

30" Overhead console?

Ivan Kristensen

Well Known Member
I wonder if anyone is making a shorten version of the overhead console for the -10?

There are a couple available now but the are the full length of the cabin top. By the time you add 4 fresh air outlets, lights and required scat hose and NACA inlets the price is in excess of $1200.00 not to mention the additional weight.

I don't believe I will have passengers in the back seat very often and possibly never at night so it would not be worth the the weight and expense of a full length console.

I would, however, like to have an overhead console for the front seats only. This unit would be approx. 30" long and extend from the front windshield to the 3/4" step up in the cabin top just back of the rear door posts.

The main purpose of this unit would be to hide those ugly door hinges but also for map lights, possibly a dome light, some switches and perhaps to hide a GPS antenna.

Anybody has any ideas???

Shorter Overhead Console

We went with the Chevy overhead console. Just completed fitting it and altough it has some weight it works in just fine...........as you may know they are available on ebay motors in the range of $35-$100, including lights.

We went with the Chevy overhead console. Just completed fitting it and altough it has some weight it works in just fine...........as you may know they are available on ebay motors in the range of $35-$100, including lights.

Pictures Pretty Please!

Thanks for the replies guys, I looked at the Chevy console and that might have been an option as well. In the end I decided to have a go at making one out of wood my self.

The edges are set at 15 degrees and made of 3/8" medium hardness balsawood and the cover is 1/8" birch plywood. The average depth is 1.5" with the deepest being right in the middle at 1 5/8"

The overall measurements are 29" x 11.5" with an access panel being 9" x 16". This allow me to get to all the bolts and nuts and to install various lighting components and perhaps a GPS antenna.

Here is a link to more pictures http://albums.phanfare.com/5187035/2292606_3556670#imageID=58172491

Thanks for the replies guys, I looked at the Chevy console and that might have been an option as well. In the end I decided to have a go at making one out of wood my self.

The edges are set at 15 degrees and made of 3/8" medium hardness balsawood and the cover is 1/8" birch plywood. The average depth is 1.5" with the deepest being right in the middle at 1 5/8"

Once a model builder, always a model builder:D

Back