What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

#30 hole over tie-down

There is a #30 hole on the (TOP outbound wing skin).
It is directly over the tie-down and yes, I did drill out the bottom skin for the tie down ring. I’m assuming that I just fill it with a rivet. Thank you for your responses in advance.

Yes - fill it with a rivet. It’s come up on this forum before, but it’s purpose is if someone wanted to suspend the aircraft from overhead. Seriously doubt it’s been done, but it wouldn’t be the first time someone on this forum proved me wrong :D

Yes - fill it with a rivet. It’s come up on this forum before, but it’s purpose is if someone wanted to suspend the aircraft from overhead. Seriously doubt it’s been done, but it wouldn’t be the first time someone on this forum proved me wrong :D

Actually, it was advanced planning for an anchor point on the top side of the wing for trailering. Lifting the airplane from the top of the wing wasn’t ever part of the engineered purpose of the hole.

I was thinking the same thing about a camera attach point. Anyone done it without falling out of the sky? :)

With a hollow a threaded insert that screwed in from the bottom, the top hole would only need to be big opened enough for a #8 screw to run something like an Nflight spud mount. A low profile cap could be machined to cover when not running the camera.

Last edited:
Actually, it was advanced planning for an anchor point on the top side of the wing for trailering. Lifting the airplane from the top of the wing wasn’t ever part of the engineered purpose of the hole.

Sounds like a perfect attachment point for a solo pilot rigging device.

Back