What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3 Questions.

Darren S

Well Known Member
1. What is the exact location of the firewall penetration for the Brake Line Reservoir ? I can't seem to find it on the plans and I don't have my FWF kit/drawing yet.

2. Do I need a Gascolator with a fuel injection engine? I have on order an IO-360 M1A ? I just read somewhere that Van's doesn't recommend one for fuel injected engines.

3. On page 36 of the plans. The drawing shows the fuel line to the fuel pump and then to the Gascolator as being on the interior side of the firewall and not on the engine side of the firewall. This ain't right ? Are my plans goofy ?

Thanks,

Darren

1. I am assuming you have a 7 or 7a, study the plans carefully I think the brake thing goes on the upper co-pilot corner of the fire wall.
2. If you use the AFI system you may not want the gascolator, again, study the plans that come with the system you choose to use and make your determination
3. Again, Study the plans, for the fuel line, the plans are rarely goofy. Always study the plans for a long time before cutting metal and you will not have to buy as much replacement metal. I do not know if Confucious said that but he shoulda.

Canadian Rules

If you're building in Canada, you will need to have a Gascolator cause they just don't bend on that issue.

Bevan

3 answers

the brake reservoir penetration is on drawing 19.

you do not need a gasolator for fi but you should consider some type of filtration before the boost pump. as posted above, i have read that canada expects a gasolator regardless.

drawing 36 isometric view shows the firewall as light hidden lines; the fuel line makes a penetration through the firewall with the gasolator on the firewall side... note that the pump and piping shown is for a carburetor not fi.

Thanks fellas !!

You are correct about the Canadian inspectors requiring a Gascolator irregardless of whether it is a carb engine or FI. I double checked the MD-RA site.

And sure enough Drawing 19 has the Brake Res. mounting !! Duh..... I swear I checked everywhere :) I'll blame my daftness on too much New Year's punch :)

Note to self..... no RV building with only 3 hours sleep.

Back