What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3 questions about buying

rv4me_ maybe

I'm New Here
I have a line on a 2001 -4 less than 100 hrs with a O-360 A3A with around 250 on it.
Is it curious that it has so little flight time?
I think I can remember reading a post by Smokyray somewhere that he preferred the O-320 because it was more nimble, is that true?
What would have better resale 180 or 150?
I recently got a ride in a 150 -4 and that seemed very capable, I think we we climbing 1500 fpm and I weigh 195, sure beats the 172 I'm used to flying :D
Thank you

In today's world the 0-320 would be a better choice IMHO due to fuel prices. Having said that there are plently of guys that would love the extra power.

As to the number of hours, that is up to the guy that owns the plane. Some pilots just fly when the have somewhere to go, some fly to burn holes in the sky.

....is a real barn burner! My buddy has a -4 with 160 HP that I fly often and it really is nimble...very much like my -6A but 180 HP in mine sure is nice though. I tend to think that it would have more appeal than a 150 horse airplane at resale since you can probably fly at the same speed and fuel burn as a 150 if you want to.

Regards,

I have a line on a 2001 -4 less than 100 hrs with a O-360 A3A with around 250 on it.
Is it curious that it has so little flight time?
I think I can remember reading a post by Smokyray somewhere that he preferred the O-320 because it was more nimble, is that true?
What would have better resale 180 or 150?
I recently got a ride in a 150 -4 and that seemed very capable, I think we we climbing 1500 fpm and I weigh 195, sure beats the 172 I'm used to flying :D
Thank you

Get an experienced RV'er, pay him, to look it over for you.
My guess is that there is an interesting story behind this plane that should be researched and determined.
Have you seen the logs? Have you seen the plane?
The engine size is fine. Its use and storage could be an issue. 100hrs in 7 years is not enough to keep the engine lubricated and prevent rust unless it had special storage circumstances.
Is this one owner 100 hours?
You need to dig hard.
Yes lighter is more nible on any plane, that will always be more true.
Unless you have a lot of RV time, you would likely never notice the difference. And I would never buy a 150hp rv-x except the 3 which is great on the 150. The rest, fun for a flight or 2, but the first time you fly with your friends, you will be screaming "gimmie 3".

Back