What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2nd first flight..SUCCESS !!

rv7guy2

Thanks to all who responed to my "hot oil" post 2 weeks ago. RV-7 C-GCPD took to the air from Stratford Ontario June 12 and the oil temp immediately went to 240 F. We landed quickly. I took your advise and purchased a Stewart Warner 8406R oil cooler from A/C Spruce and installed it. Last night my check pilot, Mike Shields and I took to the air again and there was a 20 degree drop in oil temperature. The oil temp stabalized at 220 F at 3500 ASL. We were running the new engine at 25/25 as per the engine break in procedure suggested by my engine builder at Reliable Horsepower. The 10-360 has 9.25 to 1 pistons and oil jets that spray the piston skirts. Cylinder head and Exhaust gas temps were all in the green. The plan is to run it for another hour or so at 25/25 to aid the beak in.
One question though, the plane has a VERY touchy roll rate. It's like balancing on the point of a needle. Just breath and it wants to roll and is very "snappy" in roll. Anyone else have a similar roll "feel "?

Dave C
RV-7
C-GCPD

Touchey

Dave,
I have experienced a similar problem on a friends RV7A, the airplane could not be flown hands off for a second before it wanted to roll off to the side. It required complete concentration to hold strait and level. Talking to Vans was no help. The final fix appeared to be pinching the trailing edges of both ailerons as you would do for a heavy wing, only, on both sides. I can't explain it, however, the plane now flys hands off with no tendency to "Fall off" it is a complete different plane. Maby some of the "aero engineers" can explain it????
Hope this helps.
Dick

It's normal...

....to have very sensitive controls on a -6, -7 and 8. Yep it only takes a half inch of movement to turn and that's what you'll learn to love...the immediate response of these little airplanes. Just enjoy it.

Regards and congratulations,

Back