What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2nd Dynon EFIS

MartySantic

Well Known Member
Lets see if we can start a constructive discussion!!!!! Will be finishing the fuselage kit in the next day or so and the plans tell us not to install the mapbox if you are considering the installation of the 2nd EFIS.

YES, I am a geek!!

Would like to hear all of the pro's and the all of the con's from all of you. Would like to know if any are considering the 2nd EFIS. I do not know the projected cost. That alone may sway me one direction or the other.

I have not made a final decision. Looking for your input!

Two EFIS, one EMS

Marty:

If your question is RV 12 specific, then my reply will be of limited value but I installed a Dynon 100 EFIS and a Dynon 180 EFIS/EMS for redundancy.

It works for me but I plan to fly my 9A IFR. I would not have done it otherwise.

completedpanel.jpg

It would be interesting to know what Van's will provide if you select the "Dual EFIS" Option. Is it the standard D180 that everyone gets plus a D100? Or does that option delete the D180, and add a D100 and D120?

If you are going to do a fair amount of flying with a right seat pilot, it would be nice to have a display over there, but I don't see the need for redundancy.

Just me typing out loud.

--Bill

One concideration after cost is time. If you want to go E-LSA you will have to wait until that option is official and released in the plans in order to get your inspection. That may go quick or that may take a while. If you go E-AB then you can do it right away.

I would think that option would look like the yellow proto.

Map Box

I vote for the map box. Since all of the parts, including the right panel, are screwed in place, you can change it at any time. Get the RV-12 flying first. You can always add more goodies later if desired. I would rather have an autopilot (independent of the EFIS) than a second EFIS.
Joe

Marty, you are a piece of work! I am coming to believe you are more of a techno-geek than me! Quite a feat!

This kind of thinking comes from too many days of working on your taxes!

Your east coast buddy,

John

If you are looking for redundancy ... then you need an different EFIS. We used Dynon and GRT ... then if you run into a fault with the software on one ... hopefuly they both didn't make the mistake.

save your money

I have flown a factory AMD 601XL Zodiac with the dual Dynons. The panel size and the canopy are essentially the same as the RV-12. The Dynon in front of the pilot is ok to see in daylight. The second Dynon is where our map box would be. It was very difficult to see the display. With the sun behind it is impossible to see anything.

... With the sun behind it is impossible to see anything.
I wonder if it had the bright screen option? Mine does and I have no problem reading it when the sun is behind me.

As for the 2nd Dynon. Cut the hole and make it a map box, if that is OK with Van's. Then when and if you elect to put a 2nd screen in, you can remove the Dynon sized map box.

I put a D10 EMS on the right side of my -9 and when I have a pilot in that seat, I switch it over to the EFIS screen. I get a lot of complements for providing flight instruments over there.

2nd screen is nice if it is a D100 and D120 combo to keep the price low.
The D100 and D120 can exchange data to make it look like a D180 on both sides.

If you like to share your flying with fellow pilots (or Training) having the ability to transfer Flight instruments to their side of the cockpit is great.

This is my RV7 simple and effective (D100 - D120 combo)
rv_panel_final.jpg

Regards
Rudi

Back