What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2nd Battery location

Kanfly

Need some ideas for 2nd battery location in my RV10. I have a 12AH sealed battery from B&C. Pictures would be helpfull too. Thanks for your help.

How about right beside the main battery in the tail cone!

The CofG needs all the help it can get!

DB:cool:

Or two 6 AH batteries wired in series:
EL1k.jpg

http://nerv10.com/wcurtis/90Electrical/EL1k.html

Idea from Tim O.
http://www.myrv10.com/N104CD/fuselage/20050821/RV200508200024.html

How about right beside the main battery in the tail cone!

The CofG needs all the help it can get!

DB:cool:

That is where mine is, for the same reason.

I used a couple pieces of extruded "L" from the scrap box that I riveted to the bottom skin, forms a "U" shape cradle for the bottom of the battery box, and another short piece of "L" to make a bracket that ties it to the plate the main battery tray sits on.

I used the steel box that Vans sells for firewall mounting of the battery.

Last edited:
Aft CG help?

I don't have a W&B on my plane yet, but it looks to me that if you have 2 older gents infront at 220lbs and 2 trophy wifes in the back at 110lbs and 100 lbs of shopping (to keep the trophy wifes happy), that it gets close to aft CG. Might need a little wiggle room on the wifes. I thought I would like to put the battery up front.

Part of this post is fantasy.

To get the 12ah the OP wanted, (assuming 12v) the batteries would need to be 12v, and wired parallel to get 12 ah.
Not if you put 2 on the left side and 2 on the right side. You get 12 ah @ 12 v.
Tim's site details it quite clearly.

I don't have a W&B on my plane yet, but it looks to me that if you have 2 older gents infront at 220lbs and 2 trophy wifes in the back at 110lbs and 100 lbs of shopping (to keep the trophy wifes happy), that it gets close to aft CG. Might need a little wiggle room on the wifes. I thought I would like to put the battery up front.

Without real numbers it's hard to tell, but based on a gross of 2700#, your scernaio would probably only work if A) your empty weight is under 1600# or B) you go with reduced fuel. For arguments sake, with an aft CG limit of 116.4", a 1615# empty weight, full fuel, your pilot/pax weights as listed, and the baggage trimmed to 65# (100# is really a lot of stuff in case you've never weighed a lot of baggage before) would come in at just over 114" if my math is right, so I think you'd be fine. That said, I don't think the -10 really has an aft CG issue, just the opposite really. IMO ,the problem is when you are light, like when solo, in trying to keep the CG from being too far forward. Using the same numbers above but no pax and no bags the CG goes to about 108" which would be less than 1/2 inch aft of the forward CG.

So, my vote is keep the battery in the rear.

Two batteries in series will give twice the voltage, and same amp hour.

In your photos, I assume you are using 6v batteries?? This would give you 12v and 6ah as shown.

To get the 12ah the OP wanted, (assuming 12v) the batteries would need to be 12v, and wired parallel to get 12 ah.

Yes, these are 12AH, 6v batteries. Just realized my typo. These are TWO SIX (6) Volt, 12 AH batteries. The link has it correctly.

Last edited:
Back