What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

25-02 Bent Tabs

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
According to a search of the forum, nobody else had a question on this step. It calls for bending the tabs on the tailcone OUTWARDS in varying degrees similar to what we did on the wingtips.
It calls for different angles on each side, makes no sense whatever there. Also, why are we doing that and how critical is those angles?

Don,
I measured the angle between the tailcone top skin and the F-1277 turtle-deck (and back window) and it is indeed 8 degrees. I do not know what you mean by different angles on each side. The two sides are symmetrical. The tabs need to be bent so that they will be parallel with the mating skins. If they are off by a degree or two, you should be able to apply pressure to the tabs to get them into position for riveting. I would say that the angle is not critical. But if you get them exactly right, it will make riveting easier.
Joe Gores

I'm thinking the angles are simply to allow the tabs to be in the best orientation possible, when you go to pull the attach rivets. I didn't use the wooden tool we made way back when. I quickly marked each one with a Sharpie (with number of degrees) then bent them with seaming pliers and used a standard, manual angle finder. I got really close on each one, but the entire process only took minutes. The tailcone mated up flawlessly, and I did it by myself in no time at all.

But to answer your REAL question, I too, am not real sure why all the angles are required. I just followed the directions and it worked well in that manner.

OK Joe, they ARE symmetrical, my eyes were just too tired to see that properly. I did them according to the plans, they seem to be proper, if I am off any, it is only a half degree maybe. Got the tail all cleco'd on, enough for today. Feels like progress when you make the center section 9 feet longer!

Relative Angle

Gary

The relative angle between Tailcone skins and the F1277-L & R is the angle of each tab

But to answer your REAL question, I too, am not real sure why all the angles are required. I just followed the directions and it worked well in that manner.

Back