What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

24-bit Hex Code (Mode S Code)

Ausmo

I am ready to order the Skyview Avionics. I note from the order form that this code needs to be specified for programing. How did you Aussie Builders go about this? :confused:

Thanks

Erik

Last edited:
I cannot speak for Australia, but in the states, you look up your registration on-line and the code is listed.

Alton has it 100%. Nothing to do in the USA - it comes to you when you register your airplane. Enter it in the Skyview setup screen and you're set to go.

Remember to enter the Mode S code - there are two codes - Hex and Binary.

Bob Bogash
N737G

When you reserve the registration - CASA provides the s code in the acknowledgement. The S code embeds the registration.

At least that is how it worked several years ago.

Eric,

I had the same query. Vans substituted the standard US version of the Atex ME-406 with an ACK E-04 for use in Australia. Barb also emailed me as follows: "we do subsitute the ELT for our international customers and have the ability to program the units ourselves. Australia accepts all protocols, so you do not need to have your registration as we have the ability to program an ELT for you. However, we still have the issue with the shipment of the ELT due to the hazardous nature of the battery, so they are shipped separate from the major items".

To be frank, I'm still not sure about the code, but I do have the ELT. As WA doesn't allow the batteries to be imported direct, but Victoria does :confused:, I had to have it delivered to the Fedex depot in Melbourne. From there, my niece collected it and drove it 350km to my parent's place (because their town wasn't on the approved list of destinations in Victoria that Fedex would actually deliver this hazardous consignment to :eek:.
My parents then came to visit and took the unit in their hand luggage on the plane from Melbourne to Perth - that is quite legal. :confused: In fact, the security guys at Tullamarine chuckled and commended my parents for their safety consciousness in taking their own ELT with them on the commercial flight in case the aircraft systems failed ;). I don't know what SA allows, but you should email Barb at Vans to confirm the ELT type, code and shipping details.

Hi Eric,

In NZ I had to register the plane to get my mode S code. I then sent this to Barb for progamming into the sky view.

My ELT was the real problem. Even though Fedex has a weekly direct flight into NZ there is know way it was going to happen. All the people I new in Air New Zealand started avoiding me so no joy there.

The problem in NZ with the Atex ELT that Vans supplys is that it must be tested every six months. So in the end I have installed a Kannard ELT. This is good to go under its own power for I think about six years.

Cheers

Julian 120316

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I have emailed Barb for clarification. I have also made application to CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) for a code. I have a registration number from RAAus. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out!

Erik

Transponder Mode S

Go to Page 11-15 of the Sky-view Version 5 Installation Manual.
The narrative should help to understand the data needed for your particular install.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I have emailed Barb for clarification. I have also made application to CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) for a code. I have a registration number from RAAus. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out!

Erik

Erik, just a thought. You could save some money and opt not to intall an ELT at all, but just carry a PLB. That's legal and may well be more useful in a crash. I nearly did that, but in the end decided to stick to the plans.

RAAUS with mode S could be an issue.

WHy not register it VH.

PM me for my phone number if you want to discuss. :)

ELT through Security

" In fact, the security guys at Tullamarine chuckled and commended my parents for their safety consciousness in taking their own ELT with them on the commercial flight in case the aircraft systems failed "

You guys have SMART security folks! In the U.S., they wouldn't know an ELT from an iPad, from a baby change kit. What they WOULD know is that they didn't like it. Likely, you'd wind up in a special room (if not a jail cell), and the airport would be evacuated for three hours, while you made a big splash on the 6 o'clock TV news......

Bob Bogash
N737G

" In fact, the security guys at Tullamarine chuckled and commended my parents for their safety consciousness in taking their own ELT with them on the commercial flight in case the aircraft systems failed "

You guys have SMART security folks! In the U.S., they wouldn't know an ELT from an iPad, from a baby change kit. What they WOULD know is that they didn't like it. Likely, you'd wind up in a special room (if not a jail cell), and the airport would be evacuated for three hours, while you made a big splash on the 6 o'clock TV news......

Bob Bogash
N737G

I'm not sure they knew what it was either, but my dad told them what it was for. They joked about taking safety so seriously, examined the label that said the battery was safe to transport in the cabin, opened up the box to have a look, and sent them on their way.

Advice from the ever obliging and helpful Barbara:

We already know the Australia country code for the ELT programming so no additional info is needed. and

...shipping costs estimated at $300. We can usually ship within 1-2 weeks of final payment being received. and

Because the ELT and battery are considered hazardous materials, we need to ship those items seperate from the original avionics shipment so as not to make the entire shipment hazardous. You will be receiving 2 shipments, hence the high cost of shipping by Fed Ex.

I hope this may be of some help to others.

Erik

I am ready to order the Skyview Avionics. I note from the order form that this code needs to be specified for programing. How did you Aussie Builders go about this? :confused:

Thanks

Erik
From CASA:

How do I find out the Mode S Transponder Code/ICAO 24 bit Aircraft Address for an aircraft?

The Mode S Transponder Code / ICAO 24 bit Aircraft Address for an aircraft is displayed on the following documents or their accompanying documentation: Certificate of Registration, Confirmation of Appointment of Registered Operator, Confirmation of Reservation of Registration Mark.

The Registration Holder, Registered Operator or Reservation holder may request the Mode S Transponder Code / ICAO 24 bit Aircraft Address by sending an email to*[email protected]. The code will be provided in a return email.

How that applies to you (and me) registering it RAAus remains to be seen though...Perhaps CASA has thought about this and assigned a swag of addresses to RAAus for their use. There were a few ultralights running around Bundaberg with ADS-B as part of the initial trial a few years ago, so it can be done.

Erik, just a thought. You could save some money and opt not to intall an ELT at all, but just carry a PLB. That's legal and may well be more useful in a crash. I nearly did that, but in the end decided to stick to the plans.

Robert, PM sent.

Back