What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

22-02 Step 14

Gandalf

Well Known Member
Hi... Despite my best efforts to account for the flange in the rib behind the bottom firewall, my unibit drill drifted just a bit sideways when drilling out the 9/16 hole between the gascolator attach points. Should I worry about a problem later? Is this a critical fit? I am not even sure what goes through the hole.

Thanks,
Jeff

I recall that with the gascolator in place, a fuel line passes through this hole and attaches to the gascolator. The hole needs to be in the right place for this and large enough for the line and fitting to pass through and be tightened.

I had to reposition the hole a bit (enlarge) mine with a file for this to happen. Hard work (stainless steel is hard!) but not a problem - it will likely not be seen by anyone but you!

Cheers

Erik

Hi Erik... Thanks for the info. The next size up on my uni-bit is 5/8 and I briefly considered enlarging the hole. As long as I can file to fit, I will leave the hole at 9/16.

Thanks,
Jeff

I recall that with the gascolator in place, a fuel line passes through this hole and attaches to the gascolator. The hole needs to be in the right place for this and large enough for the line and fitting to pass through and be tightened.

I had to reposition the hole a bit (enlarge) mine with a file for this to happen. Hard work (stainless steel is hard!) but not a problem - it will likely not be seen by anyone but you!

Cheers

Erik

If it's too sloppy you can always make a circular disk with a 9/16" hole and put it between the firewall and fitting nut to cover the gap.

Hi... Despite my best efforts to account for the flange in the rib behind the bottom firewall, my unibit drill drifted just a bit sideways when drilling out the 9/16 hole between the gascolator attach points. Should I worry about a problem later? Is this a critical fit? I am not even sure what goes through the hole.

Thanks,
Jeff

I had the same problem. I used a sanding drum on a Dremel tool to enlarge the hole. Worked fine.

Jerre

Back