What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2008 Pecan Plantation Fly-In

chrispratt

Well Known Member
The Pecan Plantation Annual Fly-In held November 8 was my first opportunity to visit this event. Let me first give my compliments to the organizers who appear to have this fly-in thing nailed down. Easy in, easy out for a large gathering of aircraft of all types and sizes. Thank you so much for a great fly-in.

The weather was chamber-of-commerce perfect. Clear blue skies, temps in the 60's early and 70's later in the day. Lots of food, folks and fun as they say.

I did not count the number of aircraft but as I arrived about 10:30 a.m. it was clear that the event was quickly running out of space in the main parking area and new arrivals were being positioned along the runway edges for parking.

Whatever type of aircraft you were interested in, short of military, was there: Classics such as Cubs and Aeroncas, biplanes, ultralights, factory built and, of course, beaucoup RVs. There were a couple of helicopters on hand including a Careflight medevac. The Polen Special, which is eye candy for any aviator, was on display near the main gate. One of my personal favorites, a Falco, was there -- absolutely beautiful workmanship on this wooden wonder of an aircraft.

Of special interest to me was an aircraft that would most likely win the "traveled the farthest to get here" award. While it didn't make the trip just for the fly-in, there was a beautiful and rare Commonwealth SkyRanger that flew in from Millville, New Jersey. The 17 hour flight was made by Joe Flood and one of his sons (who's name escapes me, sorry). Another of Joe's sons, Joe Jr., has recently moved to the Dallas area with his fiance. The Skyranger is for her to hone her flying skills. Joe Jr. flies a black and yellow single seat Pitts Special that was also on hand. Apparently the "Flying Floods" are well known back in their neck of the woods. Joe Jr. and his fiance Brooke work at the same company I do. They are a great young couple and will be another plus for living in Texas. Welcome!

I have uploaded some photos to a Picasa file. My first time doing so, so please excuse the lack of captions while I work through learning the new program. Click on the link below. Enjoy

http://picasaweb.google.com/pratt.chris401/2008PecanPlantation?authkey=Hcwv3IcJoAM#

Chris

Last edited:
Another rare aircraft there was a Wing Derringer, a 2-seat twin designed by John Thorp. I believe that there were about 9 certified after 3 or 4 "proof of concept" examples in the late 60s.

Gary Bricker

Thanks everyone who came. That's what makes a great fly-in. Chapter 183 meets 2nd sat of the month, except Dec. Everyone is welcome.

pics with smoke?

Chris,
Didn't see any pic with your plane flying with a smoke system.

When are we going to see that?

Mercedes
RV-6A

Chris,
Didn't see any pic with your plane flying with a smoke system.

When are we going to see that?

Mercedes
RV-6A

You mean other than my normal flying with the mixture too rich? ;)

Yeah, yeah I know. I've got to get moving on that LOE prize. Sounds like a good winter project.

Thanks for remembering.

Chris

"fun places to fly" and flyincalendar.com didn't mention it, or ODR and I would have been there.

It was in the calendar section of this site starting about six months before the event, and was posted in the 'Upcoming Event's' section of the front page of VansAirForce.net dialy for the last three months.

I tried. :eek::D;)

Gary Bricker

Put it on your calender for about the 2nd weekend of may and somewhere around 2nd weekend of Oct. or Nov every year.

Back