What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2003 RV-7A lighting and wiring questions

Mike Coady

Well Known Member
I have a 2003 7A and am about ready to add the lights and wiring to the wings before closing. I am also ready to begin the pitot static system. Any recommendations on the lighting? After looking at the Vans catalog, it seems there is only one lighting option for the 7A. What about installing the landing light in the wing, any advice there? Vans also has a prewired harnass for the other electrical supply, is this a good way to go?

wiring

I used the Van's wing tip lights. easy to install, inexpensive, looks good and works well. I just started my night rating and my instructor, who has never been in an RV before, was very impressed with the amount of light.

I bought the entire wiring kit from Van's. I ended up using lots of it for the major connections like starter, battery etc but for the smaller stuff I pretty much just chopped it up and used the parts for whatever I needed. Unless you build you electrical system exactly like Van's suggests you will not use the kit as it comes from the factory + I ended up buying lots more wire as well.

Last edited:
I am "rolling my own" HID system based using the LE light mount and reflector from Duckworks 55watt kit. I am installing two kits (one per wing) with HID lights in place of the Halogen lamps. All told it has cost less than $200 for everything.

I have installed the same LED/landing light as Scott is planning on and love it. They are very bright and light weight, draw very little power for the Nav and look great. I highly recommend them.

Mehrdad
RV7A - IO360M1B

Back