What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

200 kts

cyrilmclavin

Hi Guys over the past year of flying th 8a 200 hp c/s prop i have finally hit 200kts g/s in level with the airspeed indicator showing better than 195mph airspeed @3k. During testing i never got indicated in level flight over 175mph summer warm air etc. The aircraft is unpainted and the home made intersection fairings need to be cleaned up so more trials to come. The interesting thing about this milestone for me was that it was not achieved by firewall everything but literally teased out of the aircraft by careful manipulation of throttle prop mixture and trim. More play and more speed to come.Btw i had a passenger and 4olbs ballast in rear baggage c/g also seems to play a part in speed i dont fully understand all the parameters but enjoying learning. Rv's are so much fun keep at it.

cyril

An aft c.g. removes some of the downforce drag that would otherwise have to be generated by your elevators. Generally speaking, an aft c.g. will contribute to both a higher top speed and greater range than "normal". This is why business jets and airliners are flight tested to particularly aggressive aft c.g. points.

I suspect your results may well have to do at least in part, to the lower trim drag you achieved as a result of (I assume) a perfectly legal aft c.g. configuration.

Regards,

Lee...

Back