What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

200 hp plus RV-6 owners

6 Gun

Well Known Member
just been flying my rv6 a short time with angle valve engine and CS prop would like to talk to same rv6 drivers that have this setup for a while .
Thanks Bob

Bob, I sent you a PM with my number. Feel free to call. I am running a massaged io360 that is around 200 hp in a six. VNE is a issue but my aircraft has mods to help with that.

George

Last edited:
I'm installing a 200hp ECI Titan, parallel valve engine in my RV-6. I'd like to hear more about what mods you did please.

IO-320

I was shopping for an IO-360 in the 200 hp range when Aero Sport Power told me abt the IO-320. 12 lbs lighter, a bit cheaper and with high comp pistons turns 185 hp. Then looked @ the performance graph for Vetterman's 1 1/2 " crossover header should be in the low to mid 190s @ take off power. That is the route I decided to go.
Joe

The aircraft has the thicker skins on the elevator and rudder from the 7/8. In addition the rudder was modified to a balanced design. I will attach a pic.

George

Last edited:
IO-320

Correction: I recently began referring to this as a 320 to designate for accessories. Actual displacement is 340

IO-340

Using 9.5 to 1 pistons. Should receive the engine tomorrow evening. Let me know if you'd like any other info.
Joe

HP vs Weight...

just been flying my rv6 a short time with angle valve engine and CS prop would like to talk to same rv6 drivers that have this setup for a while .
Thanks Bob
Bob,
Bruce B. down under reads this forum and was one of the first 200+ HP RV6 guys I know. He installed an HIO-360 in his RV6 and helped me immensely with photos and learning "gouge" from his conversion. He used a Catto 3 blade and kept it fairly light. His performance numbers with the Catto 3 blade is stellar and helped keep the heavier nose weight in check. His honesty and forthright attitude greatly influenced my decision making.
After emailing Bruce I decided to go with an 0-360J2A and Catto 2 blade on my RVX rather than an angle valve. Mainly to avoid the tight cowl fit, extra weight and higher temps associated with the angle valve. I wanted 180+HP without adding a pound of weight over my 0-320A or cutting my pretty cowl. After alot of cranial scratching,goal accomplished albeit at a much lower cost than buying a 340 or Hot Rod IO-320. The J2A also has conical engine mounts which I already had for my 0-320A. I actually reduced my overall weight by 5lbs by utilizing a B&C SD8 Alt/Magnesium (non-fan-belt pulley) flywheel and Sky Tech starter. My RV-X weighs 942lbs empty. Performance?
Takeoff and climb greatly improved, cruise and aerobatic vertical slightly improved. Handling is identical...win win.

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Back