What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

200 hp performance

flyboy96

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has any good vids of the takeoff performance of a 200 hp -7 or any vids for all that matter. I like seeing what I'm building... up in the air. I think it makes me work a little harder when I get home.:)

Ted

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has any good vids of the takeoff performance of a 200 hp -7 or any vids for all that matter. I like seeing what I'm building... up in the air. I think it makes me work a little harder when I get home.:)

Ted

This isn't an RV-7, but it is a 200hp RV-8, which should be essentially identical in takeoff performance.

Inflight Videos

Go to Dan Checkoway's website www.RVProject.com. He has a number of inflight videos ---- mostly shot from inside his 200+ hp RV7. They should motivate you.

Howard Long
Retired FAA controller, CFII/ATP, UAV pilot

Here is another flick.

Oh sorry, that is my 135 hp -9 taking off from a 2300 foot strip. Your 200 HP -7 should get off the ground faster and climb better.

I just watched a vid on youtube of a subie powered RV.... it looked like it performed about the same as your -9. I was kinda disapointed for somthing that was cracked up as the latest and greatest. (eggenfellner) Your -9 does real well for 135 hp though.

Ted

I just watched a vid on youtube of a subie powered RV.... it looked like it performed about the same as your -9. I was kinda disapointed for somthing that was cracked up as the latest and greatest. (eggenfellner) Your -9 does real well for 135 hp though.

Ted
Ted,

Like in racing, it is all about the power to weight ratio. Although I have "only" 135 HP, my empty weight is 990 lbs. My -9 is a D/N VFR ship with some nice options but not a lot of bells and whistles such as flap position sensors, wig-wag lights, electric trim (manual aileron and elevator), nose wheel, and slider, etc. I mention these last two because the TW tip-up is the lightest combination. As you start selecting items to put in your bird, think about how you are going to fly it and decided for yourself if you really need that option vs more useful load. Also take advantage of every single weight savings option listed in the plans. Although I questioned why I saved an ounce here and there it did add up.

Keep pounding, your 200 HP -7 will be a great airplane when you are finished because it is YOUR airplane that YOU finished the way YOU want it.

Back