What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

20 awg wire in the SL30 pins?

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
The SL30 install manual instructs you to use 20awg wire for power and grounds. The radio comes with itsy bitsy pins. There is no way that I can see to get the 20 AWG wire inside that little pin.

How did those of you who wired your SL30 deal with that issue?

Edit: I am making this confession of being a dufus in order to set the record straight and not mislead forum members who may find this post in a search related to the topic.

I mistook the itsy bitsy pins that come with the PMA 8000B audio panel for the SL30 pins. The pins supplied with the SL30 which I bought from Stein actually work with the #awg 20 wire. I learned to things from this experience:

1. If the pins don't seem to work, you probably have the wrong pin. Make sure you are using the correct pin for the device you are wiring.

2. Working 7 hours straight without a break on avionics...makes you stupid and you make mistakes.

Last edited:
There are some special pins available which have a larger, extended base for the bigger gauge wire. I know such pins are available for the GTX-327 transponder and the GNS430 because I used some of them, which fit standard DB connectors for 18 and 20 gauge wire. They came with the install kits. You might want to give Stein a call and see if he sells them separately.

The M39029/63-368 sockets accept 20-24 gauge wire.

From the SL30 manual (parts included):
245-0022 or 245-0027, Crimp contact for d-sub, 20 to 24 awg wire, Qty 50

Last edited:
Walt, you are correct size 20-24 is AMP Brand part number for the pin 205089-1 the socket is 205090-1. Call Digikey 24 hours a day at 800-338-4105 ask for sales...

Mark C. building RV-9A

Walt, you are correct size 20-24 is AMP Brand part number for the pin 205089-1 the socket is 205090-1. Call Digikey 24 hours a day at 800-338-4105 ask for sales...

Mark C. building RV-9A

Only if you want to wayyyyy overpay for them. price each at digikey...$1.82 for the sockets!!!! Most everyone else sells them for $.35 or less. If you'd rather pay more, I'll gladly take the money!

Anyway, as others have said, the pins that come with your SL-30 will work standard with AWG20 wire.

Cheers,
Stein

Sorry, Stein!! As I have told you folks before I work for the company that mfg. these contacts under the AMP Brand name was just promoting one our distributors... I'll be back next week buying more Dynon components from you guys, working with Paul... Mark C.

Back