What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2 things to check before you install the fuel tank

Mark Henderson

Well Known Member
I am just completing the final checks before I do first flight. Two things I discovered. Check the static system before you install the tank. If you have a leak, it will be behind the fuel tank. Much easier to check and repair before the tank goes in.

Second, check the ground between the sender and the tank. When I first tried to calibrate the fuel tank it would not read the fuel added. What I learned was that the fuel sender reads about 240 ohms when empty and 30-40 when full. If you did too good of a job with the proseal, your sender may not have a good ground path. Mine read over 2k ohms to the tank body. Adding fuel did not reduce the resistance to below 240 ohms, so it could not detect the fuel level. I've added a ground wire, and now it reads correctly. I just hope I haven't created a leak where I backed out a screw for the ground.

static leak....still

Mark - thanks for the post. Good reminder!
However... Now that I've checked the pitot/static, I have a problem with the static system. I have a (approx) 200 ft/min leak rate. Seems a little high.
I've put multiple layers of sealer on all fittings, good tape covering on the opposite port, good fitting at the instrument, and the "modeling clay" interface at least looks like it is sealing "ok".

Am I overlooking something obvious?

Thx

Back