What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2 fiberglass questions

koda2

Well Known Member
Well, thanks to the builders' websites and the many posts on this forum, I have mananged, with only mininmal previous experience, to complete the fiberglass fairing of the canopy and it looks good enough to pass QA. I am starting to get comfortable mixing and laying up glass.

I am still unsure what to use over the final West epoxy/microballoon layer to get rid of the final sanding scratches. The contour is good. Some kind of fine filler or heavy primer?
What works? (I am not sure of what primer/paint I will eventually use).

The second question is what to do with the ill-fitting fiberglass tips on one of the elevators.

elevatortip.jpg

When matched up horizontally, the elevator side sticks out laterally a good 3/16".
Do I cut down the elevator tip or build up the HS portion?
If I pull it out there is no flange left for the rivets to go through.
Anyone figured out the best way to fix this?

Dave A.
6A

fiberglass

http://
eugfnq.jpg
[/IMG]what I did is 1st rough up the surface really well get rid of all the shine. use 36 or 80 grit. then I rough filled them both with the epoxy bondo that i have.(silvertip quick fair, system three. alot of guys on here use evercoat.) then I masked off the elevator and the horzontal with masking tape so you dont scratch the surface of the aluminum. I clecoed them both on and sanded them fair together. then I primed them and did the same sanding technique. as far as primer I think you need to think about what type of paint you will use to finish your plane. we are going to use ppg paint so I am priming all my glass parts with ppg's epoxy sanding primer. so that I will have cohesive bond through all the layers of primer and paint.
good luck
Erik

Last edited:
empennage tip

Erik,
Thanks for the photo. That is a good idea for getting them to match. My tips are the old polyester or vinylester type but I understand that expoxy resin will work on top of it if the gel coat is removed.

I had almost decided on the Jet-Glo system until I talked to a painter who use it extensively and found out how expensive it is. So back to the drawing board.

Dave A.

Back