What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1st engine start

Daver

Well Known Member
Fired up my o-320E2 for the first time.

A couple of seconds of prime and it started right up.

Numbers look good so far.

The only thing I did not do during this 5 min test is lean it. I got about 2250 RPM full power so I think it'll fly. Maybe if I leaned for field elevation (6500') I'd get a little more.

No squaks - maybe the idle needs to be adjusted up a little (~450 RPM). I expect this because of my light weight Sterba prop.

I bought this engine used (450 hr SMOH) a while back and, although the logs looked good and the engine appeared in great shape, you don't really know what you've got until you crank'er up.

I'm happy:)

Dave
-9A N514R

pre oil

yes, I cranked the engine with the top plugs removed (and the mags grounded) until I got some indicated oil pressure and I purged the line up to the oil pressure sender.

I ran the boost pump to purge the fuel lines & check for leaks. The only fuel leak I have now is one fuel tank sump valve (new).

It was a thrill for me. I've been working on this thing for almost 4 years so It was nice to reach this milestone.

I'd post pictures if I knew how...:eek:

Dave

1N1

No Guy, I'm at Sandia Air Park (1N1) but we've met before.

Nice lookin' -8A you got there.

Dave

That's great news ...

I'm just starting to understand how exciting that is, since we hung my IO-320 a month ago. Now looking at all the cables, wires, controls, hoses, sensors, etc that have to be hooked up .... is pretty sobering.

If a tree falls in the forest ...but

An engine start without a pic isnt really a first engine start is it?

:confused:

A goofy smile while you are sitting in your plane with a little smoke and a lot of wind is STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE on here. How do we know you arent just making this up????

I wouldn't get to excited about upping the rpm just yet. My O-320 idles just fine at 450, and it will give you a bit more braking action with the fixed pitch prop. If it isn't smooth at that speed on the ground (mine is very smooth when it is warm) you can always leave the throttle in a little. I have never had any indication the engine wanted to quit on final, where I have the throttle fully retarded. It indicates about 700 rpm down final, due to the airflow over the prop. Another reason not to touch it yet is that it may actually pick up some rpm as it breaks in.

Congrats on the first start! Things must be getting close.

Bob Kelly

You'll be flying in no time. You're gonna love the plane. I have an RV grin permanently affixed to my face.

thanks all!

Thanks to all for your support. This is a great site!

Its an exciting milestone to start the engine for the first time.

After years of hammering rivets, it makes me think this thing may fly soon.

I think I've got a good engine (no ECI cylinders:eek:)

Dave

Congratulations Dave.
I think we met at AEG last year just after I finished flying off my test time.
Stop by - the mid field wind sock is in my back yard.

Jimmie
N948JA

Back