What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1st Annual

jsharkey

Well Known Member
The year has gone by very fast since airworthiness certificate, first flight and 48 hr TT.

Of note after a pretty thorough inspection with the help of an AP.

Compression - two cylinders 80/78, one 80/75 and one 80/73. Hoped for all being 80/78 on a new Lycoming YO-360-A1A - perhaps long storage during build contributed - or not enough rpm during break-in and pootling around Phase 1 restricted area ???? Switched from mineral oil today - hope cylinders not glazed. Will keep an eye on during future inspections.

Wheel bearings - outer bearings and races showed signs of corrosion - again perhaps due to sitting on wheels for a couple of years during last stages of build. New bearings on the way.

Slick Mags - Timing retarded indicating wear per Slick SB. Need to rework mags per SB !@#$

Plugs - One Autolite plug failed test - AP recommends replacing all with more expensive Champions. Also a couple of plug caps loose.

Otherwise OK. Glad I used an AP for this time around at least.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

Nothing wrong with your compression readings.

Compression - two cylinders 80/78, one 80/75 and one 80/73. Hoped for all being 80/78 on a new Lycoming YO-360-A1A

Jim, I wouldn't be concerned about your compression. Because the rings move around while running, you will probably not ever get the same compression readings twice. Fly the airplane for a few hours and the compressions will read differently.

Not sure what the problem with you plugs is. I've been running Autolite plugs for several years with no failures.

Last edited:
Jim, I wouldn't be concerned about your compression. Because the rings move around while running, you will probably not ever get the same compression readings twice. Fly the airplane for a few hours and the compressions will read differently.

Not sure what the problem with you plugs is. I've been running Autolite plugs for several years with no failures.

Thanks for the encouragement Mel - I'm still learning :)

my 1st annual

Definitely, as a new owner, I needed an expert input on the annual...just too much new..... and not like automotive stuff.
I wonder if somewhere in it's journey from the plant to your engine, that plug got dropped. If the others test ok, how does spending more get you a better spark? ( I think that theory only works with diamond engagement rings!)

I fly infrequently, so went with Red Ram sticky red wheel bearing grease, and for the same reason, went with synthetic oil, to avoid the 'sitting & rusting' syndrome to some degree.

2nd annual, more detailing is some areas, less in others. I took ALL the fairing off this time, to look at the brake lines that ran down the gear legs etc.

Has anyone got a better idea for the fibreglas on fibreglas scuffing of the gear fairing to wheelpant intersection....? lots' of flex there it seems.

The teflon type clear tape just won't stick to compound curves like these.....so far I'm leaning toward a few wraps of vinyl tape, (electrician tape), which of course can be 'renewed' each year. It sure shows the wear points!

Definitely, as a new owner, I needed an expert input on the annual...just too much new..... and not like automotive stuff.
I wonder if somewhere in it's journey from the plant to your engine, that plug got dropped. If the others test ok, how does spending more get you a better spark? ( I think that theory only works with diamond engagement rings!)

I fly infrequently, so went with Red Ram sticky red wheel bearing grease, and for the same reason, went with synthetic oil, to avoid the 'sitting & rusting' syndrome to some degree.

2nd annual, more detailing is some areas, less in others. I took ALL the fairing off this time, to look at the brake lines that ran down the gear legs etc.

Has anyone got a better idea for the fibreglas on fibreglas scuffing of the gear fairing to wheelpant intersection....? lots' of flex there it seems.

The teflon type clear tape just won't stick to compound curves like these.....so far I'm leaning toward a few wraps of vinyl tape, (electrician tape), which of course can be 'renewed' each year. It sure shows the wear points!

Hard to tell with the plugs - I didn't notice any problem with run-up mag checks - I should have had three cylinder roughness on the mag with the dead plug - but after cleaning it wouldn't fire in the tester - go figure?

Back