What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

18-02 step 2 : Pivot Brackets

Gagarin737

Well Known Member
I'm making the four A-1206 Pivot Brackets. After drilling 11/32 and tapping with 3/8 x 24 in the part that was left over I found that there was some play after inserting a rod end bearing. After trying it with a 21/64 drill and tapping the fit was much better.
Can someone confirm that there is some play after inserting the rod end bearing?

I used the 21/64" drill

Drill size Q is the correct size to use according to a tap chart. 11/32" is 0.0117" too big and 21/64" is 0.0039" too small. I used the 21/64" drill bit because that is what my plans said to use. Van's changed the plans to Q or 11/32" in a revision. The tap should not be forced in aluminum because the threads can be stripped out, especially the first few threads. A friend of mine thought that he was tapping a hole. But when he took the tap out, the hole was smooth as if he had drilled it. He had to order new parts.
Joe

Thanks for the info!
Which drillsize used your friend?
Tap goes in smooth even with the 21/64.

Joeri.

Is re-engineering allowed?

I usually cross check the tap drill size with a chart just because and wondered about this 11/32 size also. Thought it might have something to do with the fact that aluminum was the material and not steel. Joe confirms that.
I agree that the 21/64 hole gives a tighter fit, but I drilled 11/32 because that was on my plans...and we are not allowed to change the engineering on this plane.

Tony

Good inspector who will see the difference :p
Thanks for the input Tony.
The pivot and actuation brackets are more work than expected (without a bandsaw).

Need to cross check some of the numbers

I usually cross check machining operations with Machinery's Handbook, especially when there is a conflict in the directions. The AEX Tie Down drill and tap on page 13-02 is a similar case, where step 5 is drill and tap 19/64" holes per Fig 4, and then Fig 4 tells you to drill a 5/16" hole for a 3/8-16 tap. The hole size limit for a 3/8-16 thread x 1" deep is suppose to be .318-.325, which is in the 'O' drill size range. The 5/16" drill size (.3125) is considered a undersized hole which will make tapping the hole harder, and the 19/64" hole (.2969) would be even worse. While I did the A-1206 both ways (21/64" and Q), and yes I did build 8 of them, I figured I only get one shot at the brackets on the Spar and they better be right the first time.

I am not sure how much leeway is allowed between the directions and E-LSA compliance, but I have found a few minor problems with the instructions and proceeded with the logical fix anyway (page 16-02, step 1 to drill #31 holes and machine countersink. Problem is the #30 countersink pilot will not fit a #31 hole, and a #31 drill bit is not listed in the tool list, but I have one in my drill index. Solution, drill a #30 hole and machine countersink.)

Van's changed the #31 drill to #30 in revision 2 while the MS24693S10 is not as wide. If I could do it over I would do it with the #31 drill. Countersinking can be done with a countersink tool, the heads of the screws are quite small.
Thanks for the input!

18-02 step 1

18-02 step 1 wants you to make a 3/16 hole in the bracket. I don't have a 3/16 drill (not in the tool list). #12 o.k? (Time for the U.S. to go metric ;))

Back