What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

17-03 problems

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I got some help, flipped the wing back right side up with no damage. I was able to push the outboard skin up to cleco it to the ribs, but the inboard skin really don't want to go up that far to match a hole. Put some pressure on the leading edge, but it is too fragile to push much harder. Is it supposed to be such a tight fit to wrap around the leading edge? I think that stub spar is what is holding it out and making it difficult. Shall I just keep forcing it?

I can't remember from the top of my head what's going on on page 17-03 but I think your are talking about the forward bottom skin wrapping around the leading edge and forming the forward top skin as well. If that's what you're working on, then my memory tells me that it was not a big deal to match the holes around the leading edge and on the top skin on all 6 pieces (3 per wing, 2 wings). What I did was using two ratcheting tie down straps per skin element and tighten them down before using some additional hand pressure to do the fine alignment of the holes. If it is significantly requiring more force on the inboard side I suppose something is wrong there.
Can you maybe post or reference some pictures of the stub spar area so we can see if something looks bad there?

Wooden monkey wrench

I can not remember what step it was, but I had trouble lining up the wing skin holes. So I made a giant wooden monkey wrench to apply a twisting force to the main spar and got the holes lined up.
Joe

Gotter Dun!

I got it, just took some working the clecos around the nose and back a ways, moved where it whould be a little bit at a time. Thanks for the help.
I was about to do the Torsten Tightener Trick if it had not fallen into place. I just was not expecting that much force to put it around the nose.

Back