What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

berck

Hello from the newest RV-10 builders. A friend and I have ordered an RV-10 tail kit which arrives tomorrow, but the paperwork got here today, so it seemed time to say hi, and I know everyone wants to know what the latest number is...1535. Looks like most questions have been asked already, and I've probably read a hundred posts just trying to decide which tools to buy.

We're handy with tools, but have pretty much no experience with aircraft construction or sheet metal, so we're starting with both practice projects this weekend.

Thanks for all the help so far, and I'm sure you'll be hearing from us.

Berck

Wow, Mike S didn't make the first response? What's the world coming too?

Welcome to the fold and we are here to talk your ear off and offer too much advice!

Awesome!

Another Colorado RV-10! Wow, that means Vans has sold about 300 RV-10 tail kits in the last 3 years..

So, should I prime the interior surfaces? :)

I'm only sort of joking. I have, actually, read all I can find on this subject, and the endless debate is exhausting. And I really don't know what the right answer is. I'm planning on doing nothing except where it's required. The tougher question is: what should I spray where it's required? I have an HVLP gun already, so I don't care if it comes in a rattle can or not, but I'd really like to do as little as necessary here. That is, spray one thing once, and hopefully spray something self-etching so I don't have to do that too. The plane is going to live in Colorado, which is possibly the most corrosion-free place on the planet... Given that this topic has already been hashed to death, I don't actually need a response, but if anyone has something fresh to add, I'll soak that up too.

I'm leaning toward Sherwin Williams E2G973.

Last edited:
Interior

I recommend waiting till you have your interior kit planned...depending on which kit you use will determine how much paint is needed. Only reason I say this is because we painted most of interior and in the end, should NOT have painted because it is covered by interior package.

Back