What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

150 HP performance numbers

reminds me of the LS1 in the ferrari

1pt9v9.jpg

That is just plain wrong. That is no longer a Ferrari.

The 150hp -7 should have the same numbers as Vans lists for the 150hp -6. My 150hp -6A is getting close to those numbers. I would probally get those numbers if I was not limited in RPM's due to the prop.

The real difference between a 150hp and a 180hp or 200hp is going to be in the take off distance, rate of climb, and celing. Fuel savings has been discussed here to death and the conclusion is there is no fuel savings given a set speed. The higher hp engine may even be better.

With that said, unless you are getting a 150hp engine for free, why? If you ever decide to change to a bigger engine later, be prepared to change everything forward of the firewall including the cowling. Your resale value is much lower. If looking to buy, then 150hp is fine, but the price should reflect that.

But my 150hp RV-6a is faster than that Ferrari and I won't get a ticket.:)

Why 150 hp? Because I have one. If I was gonna spend $30K that's not what i'd buy...but for now, it's free. I could overhaul it and get 160 hp....but I don't need to.

Keep in mind that I am limited to 2600 rpm due to prop.

But here are my numbers;
Down low, I normally cruse at 145kts at around 8.3gph. (slick mags) This is at 2450rpm.
Up high I will see 160kts. But I don't fly high very much so this could vary.

WOT I have seen 170kts (yep, it is over the RPM prop limit)

Given that I have a 150hp, I don't care about every knot in speed. :) And for now, 150hp is what came with the plane.

I normally see 21mpg and I have seen ground speeds from 15kts to 195kts. Try that in a cessna.:)

Last edited:
Back