What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

12' angle - don't want to mess it up

Jeff R

Well Known Member
Before I do anything stupid (...well, er, anything more stupid than the stupid things I have already done) I thought I would ask the question.

I am working on the fuse and have to make the F-728B and F-729B bellcrank stiffeners for the aft fuselage (drawing 26). They are made from the AA6-063 x 3/4 x 3/4 angle and are about 2' and 3' in length. The only lengths of angle I have left sufficient to make these are with the 12' pieces of angle I have. Am I to cut one stiffeners out of each 12' piece? Sure don't want to mess up these long pieces!

Thanks a heap.

You have two different thicknesses of angle. 063 and 1/8". Don't cut the thicker 1/8" angle, those are for the longerons. The smaller 063 stuff can be freely chopped up.

Thanks for the fast response. Wow. I have already bent the longerons, so those are safe, but I couldn't find where else in the plans a very long length of 063 angle was needed. But, I have been known to overlook things in the past.

I have had the same issue when cutting angle. I kept flipping through the plans looking for when I might need another really long one. I wish the plans had a section that detailed all the angle cut lengths, so it would be easier to know when its ok to slice them up.

So far, aside from the longerons, It's been ok to just use whichever part was the closest length.

There is a way

I wish the plans had a section that detailed all the angle cut lengths, so it would be easier to know when its ok to slice them up.

Peter,

The plans don't, but you can get a full parts list from Van's (there are some online, I just haven't searched for the RV-9) and put it into an Excel spreadsheet. I did this for the RV-7 and made it public, take a look to see what I mean at http://www.georgejenson.com/rv7partslist.xls

I keep two printed versions in my shop manual, one sorted by the Van's Part Number column and one sorted by the Make from Material column. When I have a part and want to see which plan page it's on, or what it is, I look it up on the first list. When I'm cutting material, I check to see which other parts use the same material on the second list.

Invaluable to me, hope this is helpful to you.

George

RV9 Part List Wanted!

The plans don't, but you can get a full parts list from Van's (there are some online, I just haven't searched for the RV-9) and put it into an Excel spreadsheet. I did this for the RV-7 and made it public, take a look to see what I mean at http://www.georgejenson.com/rv7partslist.xls

I keep two printed versions in my shop manual, one sorted by the Van's Part Number column and one sorted by the Make from Material column. When I have a part and want to see which plan page it's on, or what it is, I look it up on the first list. When I'm cutting material, I check to see which other parts use the same material on the second list.

George

That part list is awesome! I will be looking for one that covers the 9. I could have used that countless times already. Thanks for the heads up. I should have done more searching on the forum. Amazing how much great info you find here ...

Back