What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

$12.99 paint gun at Harbor Freight

rvator51

Well Known Member
While at Harbor Freight on Sat to pick up box of latex gloves, I saw the new $12.99 paint gun and got one. Actually it works great. With the swival on the paint container (6 oz) you can locate it upright while you spray down. It did a great a good job on the ribs I was doing. Also with the paint container on the side, you can sit it down without a gun holder.

IMG_4181.JPG

I painted the entire airplane with HF HVLP guns..Total outlay on spray guns was about $60 for 2 guns.

Gave superb results

Frank

I'm curious... what are the air pressure and flow rate (SCFM) requirements for this gun? I'm a ways from painting yet but the planning has to begin some time... ;-)

also available at......

you might find the same Iwata or deVilbis knock-offs at Princess auto if you have those out there. I have one of those $14 ones, and have used it a lot, seems to spray almost anything, after experimenting a bit with viscosity and air pressures.....and easy to clean etc.
Just get a small regulator and gauge with a swivel fitting, right at the gun, then it's easier to repeat on the next job.
And if I don't clean it well enough, and have to chuck it, well, no tears there!:)

I found that I got better finished from the HF guns if I used 45 psi (thats with the trigger pulled before you put the paint in).

Then do the spray test on a smooth wall (hold gun at 12" away from wall perfectly perpendicular) pull trigger for one second and release.

Adjust paint flow to get the right density.

Frank

Lamborghini purple goes for $800 a gallon. Ask me how I know. Love the color though.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Picked one of these up from HF last night, for some priming with SW epoxy primer this weekend. Sprayed a little lacquer thinner onto some cardboard and all seems well. Will report back with results. I've got about 1 hour's experience behind a bigger HVLP gun, so I'm about as green as can be.

Here's one that caught my eye. Anyone use this one? Other than 20 oz. vs 4 oz., I wonder how it compares to the earlier mentioned HF 4 oz. gun? Not much difference in price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-47016.html

Care required. .. There are two 20oz guns from HF that look identical..But one is an HVLP and one is not.

I used the "gravity feed gun" to paint the skins in primer..works great for that , but it is not an HVLP gun and will not get a good finish with finish coat paints, even though the parts look the same.

The HVLP gun has "HVLP" stamped on the side..The other one did not.

Now this was how it was back in 2006. Once again these guns give the best results at 40 to 45psi.

It maybe different but if it does not have "HVLP" stamped in the handle you'll have to do a test with top coat to see if its suitable.

The HF HVLP guns are really very good though.

Frank

What are you guys using as water separator?
It seams to me that the air from my compressor is coming out real moist and that I think could be a problem.

I found that the HF guns are OK but just OK. Can be a little hard to control at times. Kinda figured you get what you pay for!

I ended up going back to what we use at the shop, DeVilbis Finish Line. 2 guns, one large and one small. Never have any issues or problems with them.

Yes, there is some very expensive paint out there. I am using 3 colors, a light silver (about $290 / gal), a dark silver for accent (about $55 / pint), and Inferno Red (about $540 / gal). All metalic base clear. OBTW, these are jobber cost.

I found that the HF guns are OK but just OK. Can be a little hard to control at times. Kinda figured you get what you pay for!

I ended up going back to what we use at the shop, DeVilbis Finish Line. 2 guns, one large and one small. Never have any issues or problems with them.

Yes, there is some very expensive paint out there. I am using 3 colors, a light silver (about $290 / gal), a dark silver for accent (about $55 / pint), and Inferno Red (about $540 / gal). All metalic base clear. OBTW, these are jobber cost.

I'm new to all this, but can't imagine why a can of paint costs so much. What's the mark up on that paint? I'm thinking if I tried to do my own painting, I'd be so nervous I would be sure to screw up. I'd be curious what the cost is per second of trigger time :D

I repainted my entire fuse of my fabric airplane over the top of some Aerothane using a Harbor Freight Gun and Kelly Moore Latex paint thinned with a little water and Floetrol. It came out great. I get compliments on my paint job all the time.

paint cost

The cost difference between what a body shop pays and what the street pays is about 30% plus or minus. The expensive paints are the exotic colors and bright reds. I found out that almost all of the red paint in the automotive world was made in one plant in northern Japan. For awhile, couldn't even get it.

C5Engineer, I agree you can get a good job with a HF gun. It's just easier for me to get that good job with a better setup.

Back