What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1048C fuel valve bracket orientation

woxofswa

Well Known Member
The 1048C fuel valve bracket has two flanges and one edge is straight while the other is angled.

It appears on my set of plans that the pages that have the drawing oriented toward the 11:00 position show the bracket installed with the flanges "UP" and angled edge aft, while the drawings that are oriented toward the 01:00 position have the bracket installed with the flanges down and angled edge forward.

flangesup.jpg

flangesdown.jpg

F-1048C

Well, there is conflicting info here.
My plans show the flanges pointed down. To further muddy the works, my QB kit came with F-1048C installed with the flages pointed down, but the holes oriented 90 degrees off. By this I mean that the 2 valve bolt holes, shown on the drawing in the 12 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions, came in the 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions. It was as if the F-1048C had its flanges bent the wrong way, then installed upside down. Or in other words, the holes matche the drawing if the flanges point up.
Nevertheless, after checking closely it seemed to make no difference for me if the holes were 90 degrees off. It just meant theat the valve bolted to the F-1048C on the right side (as you face forward) rather than the left as shown in my drawing. Since the valve is symmetrical, it made no difference in the end and my fuel lines installed correctly.

Yours, however, seems to be different. I think the key is to get the fuel valve height correct. If you install F-1048C with the flanges down, I think it will lower the valve considerably. For reference, my F-1048C sits about one inch below the top edge of F-1048-L (or R), the forward fuselage ribs. You don't want the valve too low. It will interfere with things to come.

Back