What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

10-04, Step 2, fluting F-1211A ???

MacPara

Well Known Member
Finally I have run into a problem that I can't seem to figure out by myself. I've also searched blogs of fellow builders and it appears that no-one else had a problem with this before, so you guys are my last hope before calling Van's.
On page 10-04 in step 2 it says to flute the bulkhead F-1211A slightly to remove the pucker in 4 places. Well, it appears that what creates the pucker looks like a slight flute to me (see photo). Now, how am I supposed to eliminate something that looks like a flute with another flute? Shouldn't I use seamers instead to flatten it? How did you solve this problem?

Thanks,
Torsten.

F1211A.jpg

That worked! Now, the only problem I had with that was in the tool, I believe. I have the fluting pliers from Avery and the center fluting "nose" is much shorter than the two counter parts. So short, that when trying to counter flute the puckers, the center nose would just not have contact with the pucker... :eek:
To get there without marring the metal I put a soft piece of wood underneath the flange (where the two counter parts go) while squeezing. That gave me a little bit of room to apply the pliers tilted and get the nose to sit tight on the pucker while it still had good contact on the inside of the flange. I just used a piece of these wooden wedges you use to level furniture and such.

Thanks again!

Back