What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1" X 8" table top sander

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
It looks like I would have a lot of use for a 1"X8" table top sander to use in deburring some of the smaller parts of my RV-12 kit. I have searched the web and other than a Burr King which costs a ton of money and therefore is ruled out, most of these appear to be variations of the same (probably made in China) tool with the prices running from about $125 to the Wilton model which is about $335.

I would appreciate hearing from those who have purchased one of these and if you are satisfied with it for use as a sanding/debur tool. I'll use the input given here as the basis for purchasing the recommended model - thanks in advance.

I've been using a Harbor Freight one I bought for $65. 1" belt x 6" disc sander. Works great on the -12 parts.

Sander

I have a Delta with 1"x48" belt and 8" disc. I bought it on sale for about $110. Works great for smoothing/shaping thicker aluminum parts.

Mike

Take a look at Craftsman

You might think about getting a combination belt/disc sander instead of just the belt sander. I had a 4" belt / 6" disc sander for over 10 years and ran the bearings out of it. (Craftsman)

Now I have a 6x48 belt / 8" disc sander, again Craftsman. Its a great machine. I like the larger capacity too. Replaced the bearings in the smaller machine, and it runs just fine now.

I looked at the Delta models recently, and wasn't impressed. Lower power, poor table design and materials.

Last edited:
I went through this last week. I needed a bench top belt sander ASAP and bought the ?Skill? brand from Lowes. It was complete junk and I took it back that day.

I found the 1? Delta unit at Rutland.com. It is discontinued and getting harder to find, but it tracks nice and is built well. I am very very happy with
it.

I'm a tool junky, Snap-on for hand tools and Jet for power tools. Jet didn't offer a 1" bench top belt, but this Delta fits in nice and isn't expensive.

Delta SA-180

Found one on the internet (new) at a closeout price of $115 plus $34 for shipping. Local dealers told me that Delta is is the process of changing models and that if I could wait until August, I could get the newer (unknown quality) model!!!

This one looks pretty good for a machine mass produced in China. Motor appears to be strong at 1/3 hp. I think that this sander should be ok for removal of metal on 1/8" or larger aluminum pieces. The belt is 60 grit and the sanding disc is 100 grit as supplied. I'll have to make sure that these belts are aluminum oxide before I use them. It has a two year warranty from Delta. I'll update after use!!!:cool:

Does the 1" belt sander have any advantage over a 4"?

I like the 1" because you can get into tight places, and you can push the back of the sanding belt with a chunk of wood to get other areas, but I'm sure the 4" would have benefits over the 1" also.

Back