What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1/4" shaft to a bench grinder?

Shockwave

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of a way to attach items with a 1/4" shaft to a bench grinder? I've tried looking at drill chucks, collets, various searches for adaptors, and I'm coming up empty other than tantalizing photos of apparently 1 bench grinder having drill chucks on both sides. Mine appears to have M12 threads and I haven't found a chuck that'd attach to that.

Basically I'm wanting to attach my 2" deburring wheel to the grinder and zip around the holes in the ribs.

Rather than a bench grinder... I occasionally chuck up a rotary file or sanding drum in my drill press when I need to grind the inside of a lightening hole or other inside edge of a part. Works great, just watch the side-loading on the shaft if it happens to be a drill press that you like.

mcb

Chanler,
some of the high $ bench grinders have a threaded hole in the end of the shafts. They have large shafts and bearings which allow for this. Maybe you could try something like that. Another thing you could do is to have a local machine shop make an adapter for you.

Rather than a bench grinder... I occasionally chuck up a rotary file or sanding drum in my drill press when I need to grind the inside of a lightening hole or other inside edge of a part. Works great, just watch the side-loading on the shaft if it happens to be a drill press that you like.

mcb

I also use my drill press (HF junk, don't really like it at all but it spins 'round) for just this sort of thing quite often.

Back