What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

02 flow settings you use?

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
I have seen people claim to use all sorts of diff o2 flow setting when flying. Just trying to figure out if .25 lpm per user when using oxysaver cannulas is adequate at 10-15K?

What do you find works best at 10 15 and 18K PER user? Thanks

Rick,

As you have probably read in other threads, individuals vary widely in their response to higher altitudes, as well as their response to supplemental O2. I believe the best way to do it is to use a finger oximeter, and set O2 flow to whatever it takes to keep you adequately oxygenated. Those who go by how they are feeling are playing a fools game.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Thanks

I have a pulseox meter, and of course will adjust, just wondered what others were finding worked best. The factory built 02 meteres have a flow valve that can be adjusted for you altitude if on oxy saver cannulas. I have a pediatric flowmeter...just want others with similar equip to tell me their finding.

The best way to measure it is with an oxymeter.

94% feels near normal to me.

92% is okay, but I'm off my game.

90% is like being tired or fuzzy. Alertness is off but I don't feel unsafe. If I am, and I probably am, I can't tell.

88% is not good. I know I'm not really up to being PIC. No danger of nodding off, but I'm doing more sightseeing than being a thinking pilot.

It takes more O2 than one might think to keep the level up at say 16,500, but a nasal cannula can handle even 18k. Just crank the flow right on up to what's needed.

My aim point is to try hold 93%. Success with that will depend on my own condition that day as well as the flight's task load. Usually, after a longish flight, I'll keep the high altitude O2 flow going until I'm off the active on the ground. I'll be tired from the flight, there will be turbulence and traffic and other things to deal with, and this helps me fly well with all that.

This was discussed on another thread - http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=96381.

Without an oxymeter, I'd use .5 lpm at 10k, and increase it to 2.25 or so at 15k. I've got a more accurate table in my oxygen bag, though and this is just from memory. These days I use the measured blood oxygen instead of a look-up table. Having the table along in flight is a backup in case the oxymeter fails.

Dave

With oxymizer cannulas and a needle valve, I usually set our tank flow valve to 1.5 liters/minute for two of us anywhere between 10-16k altitude. Will go up to 2 lpm above that. Typically maintains saturation levels for two of us in the low-mid 90s. As noted by others, YMMV and it is definitely worth a few bucks for the pulse ox. Also, the amount required will likely depend on the usual age, physical condition etc. including your normal living altitude. I live at 5000 feet, so have acclimatized to that altitude and don't require as much oxygen at altitude as I would if I lived at sea level.

Greg

New shipment in stock!!!!!

...We have a new shipment of our very high quality oximeter in stock with very special pricing for VAF members. Please have a look at them on our web-site and keep an eye out for our new products to be released soon. Thanks all, Allan...:D

My practice is very much like Greg's above. Often solo on X-Cs, and use 1.0 or 1.5 LPM at 10-12K, and 2.0 above that. Have used the same settings for myself and one pax aboard...perhaps up to 2.5 with 2 folks up in the teens. Pulse-ox shows good sats at those settings. As has been mentioned, lots of variables among people and conditions...perhaps even delivery systems, regulators and flow-meters, so YMMV. Probably a good ball park though.

Cheers,
Bob

Back