What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

0-320 Slick Magneto Harness questions ?

jeffsvan

Well Known Member
Last year I bought a set of mags and a harness kit for my Lycoming O-320E2D.
I was told they were the correct part#'s for my aircraft.

This year we decided to finally install them. It turns out the mags ARE the correct part#, but the harness kit is a M4002(not correct). The cross reference says I need a M4001 kit. Looking further into it the M4002 is for O-360 engine.
Laying the new M4002 harness on the table next to mine, I can see it is about 4 inches longer. Otherwise it appears identical. If it were shorter I realize it would not work, but it is slightly longer.

How critical is this issue?

I phoned the manufacturer and was told the only difference is the harness i have is a few inches longer.

Last edited:
Long, and deep too.

My harness that came with my engine from Lycoming seems really long. So I don't think extra length will hurt. I used the extra length to route the ignition harness as far away from the "normal" electronics as possible.

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I should have clarified my concerns were with introducing unwanted electrical noise.

After corresponding with Slick/Champion who pulled up their engineering drawing, i am assured i will be fine.

Back