Dana,

Can you tell us a bit about how this happened? I'm very sorry to see the damage to your beautiful airplane, and I'm glad nobody was hurt.

Regards,
Martin

If you all don't mind, I am going to hold off on explanations for the time being other than to say my airplane was parked on the ramp and unoccupied at the time of the accident. I do have the pilot's statement in hand.

Last edited:
If you all don't mind, I am going to hold off on explanations for the time being other than to say my airplane was parked and unoccupied at the time of the accident. I do have the pilot's statement in hand.

Probably a very wise choice.

Ever notice cops and firemen always say the case is "under investigation". That way you dont have to take back what you said earlier.

Understood!

If you all don't mind, I am going to hold off on explanations for the time being other than to say my airplane was parked and unoccupied at the time of the accident. I do have the pilot's statement in hand.

Of course. I understand completely. Best of luck.

7.62 x 39!

Dana,

Sorry for you trouble. Moderate amounts of Patron and a larger dose of friends will be key to a successful resolution. Was the owner instructing the guy in the left seat? If so, with his attitude, we should'nt wait til dawn. Call me, I'll take point!

Any $%^&** that shrugs it off with "Accidents happen" ought to be executed at dawn. Call me. I'll help.

Dana,

I was very sorry to hear what happened. I have followed your posts for the last year, and found them to be very inspirational. As angry as you must feel right now, remember that no one can change what has happened. At this point, your energies are better put to use in figuring out what you want to do and how to get that accomplished. Thank God no one was hurt. I think you have already received good advice from others in the forum.

I'm sure that in the future your airplane will be back in the air with you, where it belongs.

Best of luck. We are all pulling for you, and we know that you will succeed in getting your airplane back.

Just wanted to let you know my family is thinking and praying for you. I can?t imagine how you feel right now. I am working on the wings and just thinking of have this happen once I am finished makes me feel ill.

Aprreciate what you have.

It's dissapointing what happened to your aircraft. However it is easily repaired. The fact that the owner of the cessna was not more inclined to cover your damage with or without insurance is dissapointing. He should have
been assuring you that he will ensure your aircraft is returned to it's previous state at no expense to you! But my concern is that you express an unecessary outrage publicly. You could contain this better as others have had similar and worse things happen to them. My example is that when my QB kit was unloaded at the port the wing crate was dropped onto the fuselage crate with the wings then falling out onto the ground. The fuselage back was damaged and the wings were a write-off. It took me 9 months after a legal fight (Vans were of little or no assistance) to get the insurance which only covered the replacement cost but not the freight,import duty, port handling costs etc which put me out of pocket $10,000 and years behind in construction. So with other dissapointing life experiences that some of us experience I would suggest to you a lot less aggression and appreciate that you had your sons to help you build your plane and their assistance perhaps in now rectifying your present situation. It isn't as bad as you make out.

Greg McNAB

Last edited:
Interesting first post <g>.

I have to respectfully disagree with a lot of what you have said here. I think Dana is showing incredible restraint. I also think he has every right to vent a little and I'm quite sure I wouldn't have been so nice, privately or publicly.

b,
d

snip....But my concern is that you express an unecessary outrage publicly. ...snip
Greg McNAB

Last edited:
Dana, very sorry to hear about your plane. That's no fun at all. I can't imagine the feeling of walking out to see that carnage.
I have to respectfully disagree with a lot of what you have said here. I think Dana is showing incredible restraint. I also think he has every right to vent a little...
I'm generally a very calm guy, but if this happened to me, you'd get to see me "vent." Boy, I'd vent everywhere...especially if the guy wasn't jumping through his (bum)to get my plane fixed.

If it were me, I'd have the plane fixed by a well-recommended shop. I don't see any sense in doing all that work (again) yourself. Just make sure you hold his insurance's feet to the fire & get a plane back that's every bit as perfect as it was before the accident.

It's so sad

Dana, I can't imagine the shock and horror that you must have felt upon finding your aircraft in such a state. I only hope that you and the insurance companies get things resolved quickly and the teardown can begin without too much undue delay.
My first thoughts of seeing such damage is to remove all evidence of the scars from the accident. I guess, for me, it would be part of the mental healing process, to get to removing the damaged sections and as quickly as possible so that you can move forward again. I know this is going to take you quite some time and involve a lot of work (not to mention a new or at least totally rebuilt engine and a new prop).
Again, I hope that you are able to quickly get things moving towards getting your beautiful aircraft back in the air.
Better days,

ouch

Being a 180 driver and hopeful future builder of an RV-8 or two, you have my deepest sympathies. Im doubly depressed to see two of my favorite airplanes fighting! Good luck with repairs...however they come about.

OMG!!!!!

I can only immagine how you feel Dana. My wife and I ended up going to the Outer Banks of NC after all for the long weekend in our -8. Just got in and turned on the computer and this is the first thing I saw.

This really s****. I know that it's repairable, but you were just getting into stride, checking out the long legs of your steed and someone says "oops, sorry". Just doesn't quite cut it, does it?

My best wishes go to you.

Ignore list

Doug,
how do you get to the ignore list? I've never had to use it.
Hurry, I'm not sure how long I can restrain myself from venting....:mad:

No way

I feel like I'm reading an obituary. My deepest sympathy.

Good luck to you getting back in the air.

Wonder how a sam james cowl would look in black?

My example is that when my QB kit was unloaded at the port the wing crate was dropped onto the fuselage crate with the wings then falling out onto the ground.

There is absolutely NO COMPARISON between having a store bought QB fall out of its crate and having the beautiful product of a couple thousand hours of your sweat and tears get mangled. We all worry about getting our cars dented, having our bike stolen, etc., but nothing like that comes close to the knot I get in my gut when I think about my airplane getting damaged.

I agree with other posts that Dana's attitude on the matter seems absolutely reasonable.

P.S.

Dana,
I was looking over your pics and things don't really look that bad. Obviously the motor is toast, firewall too, and some skins, but it looks like you still got a plane there. Hang in brother.

Last edited:
I can only immagine how you feel Dana. My wife and I ended up going to the Outer Banks of NC after all for the long weekend in our -8.

I obviously would have much rather gone east instead of west....would have kept me out of "harms way";) Did have a great time camping, just didn't end so well.........only tree there:rolleyes:

smash020oj5.jpg

Last edited:
Great camping picture! Enough to keep you going through the next few months - just remember how good it will be again! Very sorry to read about the incident and I know how deep the hurt (and frustration) runs. Great restraint on your part and good to know there are so many out there willing to help a friend if needed. Add me to the list! Doug

Wow! Incredible!

Dana,

My sincerest condolences as well to what happened to your pride and joy. I can't offer anything new that hasn't already been stated about dealing with the insurance companies. There has been a lot of good advice given here. That's a nice picture of Black Majic quietly resting in the shade in a camping mode. A nice blown up version of that hopefully will help you through this hard time.

I think most of us here are well aware that while there are a lot of nice folks in aviation, there are certainly some real dirtbags as well.....especially in the small time commercial business side of it.

Hopefully you are planning to attend Oshkosh this year, and if you are, then you will be among great RV friends who help you through this and on to getting your girl back in the air! Good Luck my friend!

Sorry for your loss

Dana.

I'm very sorry for your loss. LIke others have said, I'm just happy that nobody was hurt. Planes can be repaired or replaced, people can't always be repaired as easily.

The only other point that I thought of that hasn't really be been brought up, was that I thought of how our airport makes each operator, and tennant for that matter, have a miniumum of $1 million or $3 million (tennant vs operator) liability insurance with the city named as an "additional insured". Many of us don't necessarily like having to do this but the city claims that they need to protect themselves against operators and tennants who otherwise wouldn't carry adequate insurance, and then when a claim might arrise.....the city would be named for being negligent in allowing their tennant or operator to not have adequate insurance at their airport.

Hopefully you won't have any coverage issues. It sounds like there's 3 insurance companies that could all potentially be involved. Good luck. I hope your experience goes as some have posted...they were pleasantly surprised how smoothly and quickly the loss was covered.

Rick Luck
Duluth, MN
RV9A

Black Majic Damage

Dear Dana:

If it was may airplane I would:

1. Take lots of photos and print them out in large formate;

2. Go to what you think might be the most expensive certified repair shop with your logbooks, builders plans, and photos and try and get them to give you a written estimate for total repair of your airplane, including new everything that shows damage and then a new paint job for the entire airplane to match.

3. Once you have all that I would then get in touch with:

A. Your insurance company; and
B. The insurance company of the Cessna that did the damage; and
C. The insurance company of the Pilot, if he has individual liability coverage; and

4. Send all the insurance companies (seperatly by certified mail) that they have thirty days to resolve your claim, otherwise you are going to get a lawyer and file suit.

5. Hopefully you will be able to negotiate with your own insurance company to total your airplane and allow you to keep it for salavage value (Total is the policy coverage less deductable for not in flight, and salvage value is what they expect to get for it by auction in it's unrepaired state).

6. Your own insurance company has the most exposure to you because if they do not pay your claim timely in most states they would also be liable for attorneys fees, court costs and interest. You can also probably sue your own insurance company in your home state vs. the accident location.

7. In all likelhood the most you would recover in a lawsuit from either the pilot or the owner of the Cessna would be what a jury determined was the fair market value of Black Majic before the accident vs. the fair market value after or maybe costs of repairs but you would probably NOT be entitled to recover of attorneys fees.

Looking at Black Majic I would venture a guess that the salvage value would not be more than about $15,000.00. If you were in Texas I could provide legal assistance and you are free to call if you have other questions (806) 763-1111.

Best regards

If you need help - let us know

Dana,

I live outside of Louisville so E-town isn't too far from me so if you need help to disassemble/load the plane up let me know. If its in the evening or on the weekend I can drive over to assist. I'm sure Mike H will chime in with a similar offer to help. He's closer to E-town than I am.

Dana:

There are simply no words. Get her back in the air and let us know if we can help with anything. I'm sure you'll have an onslaught of offers from the good folks here at VAF.

Jamie

Wow- BAD day!

Talk to your insurance company before you get down to brass tacks with the other guy- if aviation insurance works anything like car insurance, they may do a lot of the heavy lifting for you, especially since you so clearly were not at fault in any way. In the automotive world, (assuming you have hull coverage) your insurance coverage would get you started on the road to repair or replacement, and then they would get the funding back from the other guy's insurance through subrogation. OR, they would take the lead in the lawsuit against the company that operated the other plane, and get their money back that way. If you don't have hull coverage, it would be up to you to hire a lawyer and you, not the insurance company, would end up owning the jump school.

And if I were you, I'd push for an entire replacement engine, not just a teardown inspection, since the prop struck the engine itself. And definitely add up the costs of repairing the entire airplane to "just as it was" condition. It's your right.

Good Luck

Ed

Here to help

Dana, I am here to help.... granted I live in Atlanta but if you need anything please feel free to call.
Best
Brian Wallis
404-405-1315

involve your insurer

Wow- BAD day!

Talk to your insurance company before you get down to brass tacks with the other guy- if aviation insurance works anything like car insurance, they may do a lot of the heavy lifting for you, especially since you so clearly were not at fault in any way. In the automotive world, (assuming you have hull coverage) your insurance coverage would get you started on the road to repair or replacement, and then they would get the funding back from the other guy's insurance through subrogation. OR, they would take the lead in the lawsuit against the company that operated the other plane, and get their money back that way. If you don't have hull coverage, it would be up to you to hire a lawyer and you, not the insurance company, would end up owning the jump school.

And if I were you, I'd push for an entire replacement engine, not just a teardown inspection, since the prop struck the engine itself. And definitely add up the costs of repairing the entire airplane to "just as it was" condition. It's your right.

Good Luck

Ed

Dana,

I agree here. If you have hull coverage, go ahead and involve your insurer. They will persue (subrogate) the jump school. I believe that the jump school owner is wrong - I'm sure he has liability coverage. You usually can't buy "hull only." His property damage liability limit is probably $1,000,000 or maybe $500,000, either of which will fix (or total) your airplane. He probably doesn't have Passenger Liability - but that doesn't concern you.

Be sure to be timely in responding to requests from either insurance company. Send back the paperwork quickly and give them a telephone number where they can reach you most of the time. Aviation insurance is a small world and differes from car insurance somewhat. Being easy to work with will help.

You may be looking at a total loss. You may be able to negotiate and end up with the salvage - which, I would assume would be your preference, rather than just cash. Remember - the liability payout will be for actual damages to reasonably repair to the condition / quality as before the accident. Your hull coverage will be limited to your declared insured value. Your hull insurer will probably declare a constructive total if cost to repair will exceed 60% - 70% of the insured value. With the fuselage and engine / prop damage, you may be there. Also, it's a homebuilt that can't just go to any shop to be fixed like it could if it were a Cessna or Piper.

I deal wity these issues everyday. Call if you need any help.

770-794-7504

Man I hate things like this. A couple months ago I had a lady hit me on my motorcycle, she cut a turn and went right into my lane and hit the bike on the left front. My bike was in perfect shape with no scratches what so ever. I had a BMW 1100RT and the hit took out all the front fairings and the engine, boxer engine and the left cylender got hit. Short story here, the bike was a loss. The amount the other insurance company paid was way lower than it was worth, about 2000 dollars. They went by low book, really great. What that meant to me is if the bike was NOT taken care of, I would have recieved the same amount. What I'm trying to say here is they will try and give you the lowest amount they can. I would just sit back and let them worry about getting the plane fixed, or pay you for a loss on the plane, then build another, or just let them pay somebody else to fix it. I do know if YOU fix it, you will loose out big time, money wise that is. It seems insurance companies will not pay you for your time for repairing your own airplane, happened to me once, won't do that again.

Every builder / owner's worst nightmare - a freshly finished bird being wrecked. I just want to extend my condolances and say I hope you get it repaired and back in the air soon...

Book value vs market value

In real terms, any legal fight starts with you being dissatisfied with the official response of the at fault party/an insurance company. Having been here on a car, and having just guided a friend through it, have a few good comparable (hand over your heart, honest, valid comps) market value comparisons gets you past the 'book value' argument pretty quick. Successful (95% whole) 2x.

My cases involved cars, where book was sub $2000, market over $5000. Something tells me there was state implications (Ohio for me), but I have reports of MI being the same, even being a no-fault state. No, it's no an airplane, but I've read it being used in dwellings and watercraft too.

Just my $0.02

Good luck!

Rick 90432 - fuse, emp mounted - kinda stuck on what to do next!

PS: one other thought: it's not an aircraft until phase one gets flown off - Iwonder if that is a legit expense of building the first time, and hence part of the value - at $5/gal, 40 hours gets a couple $K quickly?

I want to throw in a tid bit more here. I want to give my biggest condolances to your loss. I have been thinking since I heard about this what I would feel like if I came out from eating and found my bird all wrecked up. I actually gave a tear for you. This is awful. I think you should make sure the FAA knows about this, because this guy needs to be accountable for his actions. Yup, he needs a check ride to make sure he can taxi a tail wheel, which is bad any because there is a natural blind spot on the right front of any tial wheel airplane, and these cessna's are one of the worse, with the high panel and all. You would think that with two people the person on the right would be calling any thing in the way, but my guess is that they were chit chatting and didn't look at all.

In real terms, any legal fight starts with you being dissatisfied with the official response of the at fault party/an insurance company. Having been here on a car, and having just guided a friend through it, have a few good comparable (hand over your heart, honest, valid comps) market value comparisons gets you past the 'book value' argument pretty quick. Successful (95% whole) 2x.

My cases involved cars, where book was sub $2000, market over $5000. Something tells me there was state implications (Ohio for me), but I have reports of MI being the same, even being a no-fault state. No, it's no an airplane, but I've read it being used in dwellings and watercraft too.

QUOTE]

For airplanes, forget book value / market value. Your hull insurance is written on a stated value basis. What is written on page one of your policy as aircraft value is what you'll get (less whatever deductible) if you file a hull claim and they declare a total loss. If you do this, now your insurer assumes the right to persue any at-fault party.

If you make a direct claim against the at-fault party (you obviously should) you have the right to claim any / all costs necessary to return the a/c to its pre accident contition.

Preventive measure?

Not that this would have helped your situation much, but let's say you actually were in Black Magic at the time. Watching that spinning prop coming right for your head makes one wish they had a locomotive horn on their bird.

I just got a sick feeling in my stomach looking at your pics. I wonder if its out of the question to sue for pain and suffering? Normally I'm against such litigious actions but like you said, your heart and soul went into your aircraft for many months. To the insurance company, it's probably just viewed as a mode of transportation. I wonder how insurance company adjusters would approach it if you had a rare painting significantly damaged due to neglegence? Your aircraft is a piece of artwork, regardless of whether it goes 200 mph or not.

Seeing your situation really should be a lesson to all of us. I call it the "what if" factor. We need to prepare ourselves mentally for the heartbreak that would occur in such a situation so that we can take it in stride. But I'm still at a loss for how you recoup your heart and soul. Hang in there. For now I think that's about all you can do. Eventually, the memory will fade and be replaced with new visions of grandeur! In the mean time you'll get some more new toys and I'm sure you will find sympathetic RVators everywhere willing to let you take their bird up for your weekly fix.

Blessings,

Pounder

Dana,
Dude. As your friend I cant let this continue anymore.
Pitty party is over, over over.
Take crying towel, put on floor, dous with avgas, light on fire, let the flames burn fire back into your eyes that you had last week..

Suck it up, get busy livin, and lets fix that thing.
Scatter parts and to dos amongst friends and lets get er done.
Come on, wheres the focus and mission. This is no big deal. Bump in the road.
Thing can be flying in 2 weeks.
Oh wait, there are insurance companies involved.
OK 4 weeks.
Never mind all that.
Order tank parts, send to me, Ill get that done asap.

Chop Chop
Best,

As I have already said while standing at attention.................YES SIR!! Sorry about what I am about to say with you insurance guys on this list.........Let me give everyone a visual on what I have already seen............envision molasses running uphill!!:eek:;) Chomping at the bit already, I'm ready to do something NOW!! I'm over it, let's move on!!

How's that Kahuna??

Last edited:
Insurance company...

Not an expert here, but I think that the pilot made a mistake and his insurance company should pay up. Unless he can claim that the plane was defective and that caused him to have the accident. I which case that should be between him and the owner of the plane.

A number of years ago I damaged my own plane and was insured with Avemco. They were great to work with and very quick to help get the plane repaired.
$20,000.00 to repair my Cessna. The only complaint that I had was it did take more then a month to get the engine and prop repair and the with tip fixed and painted.
I didn't think about asking for a replacement while it was being fix, but sense I was the one that was in the plane when it was damaged, maybe I would not have be able to get that.

The only complain that I had was after the plane was fix the repair facility would not return the plane to me unless I paid for the repairs out of my own pocket or wait a week till the insurance company provide a check.

I have had car insurance repairs before and the repair shop always trusted that the insurance company would make the payment. I don't know why it should be any different. Anyway it really made me mad, and so I have not done business with Aurora Aviation at the Aurora Airport, Oregon sense.

Kent

To get it going

Dana,

Been thinking about it today. To expidite things, I think I would sit down and make a list of what needs to be done. Put documented and realistic estimates on each - ie. parts from Vans, replacement prop, replacement TMX engine, paint, supplies, etc.

If it adds up to less than your insured aircraft value, submit that to your insurer (via the adjuster) as a hull claim. Get that paid, get the parts, and get it rebuilt. They'd be crazy not to take it - you are supplying much of the labor for free! Then you can let AIG go after the jump plane owner on thier own time while you go flying in the repaired airplane.

Settling a liability claim might take forever.

Not that this would have helped your situation much, but let's say you actually were in Black Magic at the time. Watching that spinning prop coming right for your head makes one wish they had a locomotive horn on their bird.

You may recall that at Oshkosh 2006 an RV6 was chopped up by the prop of a Grumman TBM Avenger. The passenger who was killed was our EAA Chapter president. The pilot/owner of the RV6 is my partner in ownership of our hangar and my friend. This accident has left very deep scars on my friend, scars that are far deeper than any to be found in twisted aluminum.

Others have said it before me, but it bears repeating in light of the more serious consequences outlined above. This incident only resulted in twisted metal. We should all be thankful this was as deep as the damage runs.

However you go about it I'm sure the same indominable spirit that built that beautiful black airplane will perservere to see you fly another day. Be thankful that nothing more precious and more irreplaceable wasn't harmed in the incident. It behooves us to be mindful of those who were less fortunate in similar circumstances.

I do have a horn!

It's not a locomotive horn, but it is a after market, loud, motorcycle horn. I first added it as more less a novelty, but after hearing about the accident last year at Oshkosh I got to thinking that it might be handy if I needed to get someones attention.

I hope I don't have to use it to keep from getting run over but I'm glad its there.

I doff my hat to CanadianJoy for his articulate and poignant reminder. Despite how sick we all feel at the sight of the damage to Black Magic, it's just parts and metal that can be repaired. Sometimes, in the pain of the moment, it's hard to focus how lucky you really are.

Sorry

I had the same thing happen to my RV6, a friend, an airline pilot, taxied into my 6 that was sitting on the ramp in front of my hangar. I was fortunate that his prop. made only 2 cuts thru my cowl before it stopped, did not touch the engine, only the cowl was damaged. The insurance co. (his) wanted to "fix" the cow, not replace it. I had to dig my heels in and demand a "New" cowl, they finally relented and agreed.
It appears that 180's have very poor vis when on the ground.
Good luck, hopefully the ins. co. will be easier to get along with.
Dick

Negotiating with Adjusters

I work for Adjusters all the time, as an expert where they are deciding coverage. Here is my advice.

First, look at your policy as too what they will pay for, chances are the other pilots insurer uses a similar, if not the same form. Pay attention to the third party, ie, the liability section. If the other pilot ran into a new Cirrus 22, the total would be much more than the resale value of your aircraft. Here you may want to consult a coverage attorney specializing in aircraft. Your insurance company may cut you a check for the damage and subrogate against the other pilot's insurance. If you can get a copy of the other pilot's policy, that would be helpful in determining where you are likely to recover. The other pilots insurance will only cover what the policy contracts for.

The adjuster will want to settle the claim quickly. There are all different types of them, some will commiserate and try to be quick and helpful. Your agent may be of some help here. The fact is, the quicker they settle the lower the cost. Some and maybe most since the insurer is unlikely to have a lot of their own field adjusters, they use independents. Some of the independents are ruthless, there job is to settle the claim at least cost.

If you are feeling as though you are being treated unfairly, you have several options. One, you can hire an attorney. This attorney should be very familiar with insurance coverage issues. Second, you could hire a Public Adjuster. They take 10% but will recover everything that is accountable and then some. I often encounter them on fires, they show up while the fire is still smoldering. There are good ones and not so good ones. Once you use an attorney or PA, your settlement will take some time.

Since your claim is for third party liability, you should be able to collect on incidental costs to make you "whole". Take into consideration the effect that if you hire the work, will that effect you ability to make future repairs. If they total the aircraft and take it, then your ability to make your own repairs to the aircraft is likely forfeit, unless you build again. Perhaps a DAR can pipe in here.

Be tough, hang in there and get help to back in the air. I'm glad to know no one was hurt, money will fix this.

Unbelieveable

So, so sorry to see those pictures. I can't offer any advice, just wanted to chime in with the others.

Hang tough and make it right.

Real quick

I have spoken with the adjuster for my insurance, AIG and the adjuster for the jump school insurance carrier, U.S. Specialty Insurance.

A report has already been filed with the FSDO, they had two examiners at the airport yesterday.

Time to get this show on the road.

I have spoken with the adjuster for my insurance, AIG and the adjuster for the jump school insurance carrier, U.S. Specialty Insurance.

A report has already been filed with the FSDO, they had two examiners at the airport yesterday.

Time to get this show on the road.

Dana,

First, I would like to say I'm very sorry about your bird! Second, I would like to say... Man, you're a true professional in the way you've handled this situation. I'm a long way from you but if I can help in any way, drop me an email.

And again, Dana, PLEASE let us know when you need help. I am about 45 minutes away and I pledge a day. I really miss building and turning a wrench would be good therapy. Besides, we want you in the air whenever the fly-in happens. Hang tough.

Bob

Thoughts

Going back over today to have a look at her was actually a little more discouraging than I had hoped. First of all the canopy bound up and would not close the last 2 inches. The hit right here seems to be the culprit. The longeron and fuselage side are pushed in, this coupled with the filtered airbox not lining up with the inlet scoop confirms the front of the fuselage is twisted both down and to the right from the passenger side. You can see the extent of the damage by the reflection line, and by how far the forward deck is bowed in.

smash2009pw8.jpg

You can see the bolt head on the roll bar showing where the longeron is bowed in as I first thought. The longeron, along with the passenger forward side fuselage skin are damaged. Pretty obvious the twist. Looks like as far as skins go, minimally the following would have to be drilled out and replaced: firewall, top skin, forward passenger fuselage side skin and longeron, then I get into the longeron cap, canopy slider rail..........

smash2017jr2.jpg

It even broke the micro on the pilot side due to the twisting. It goes up the vertical, you just can't see it in this picture. The prop hitting the top of the engine, that had to be one h$ll of a hit, obviously did a tremendous amount of damage to the front of the fuselage along with the 180 running up onto the longeron at the windscreen intersection. Had hoped for better, found the worst. Sorry Kahuna, gotta whine a little.

smash2019ci4.jpg

Thoughts on it being as new.......49.2 hours.

Last edited:
I have owned a variety of airplanes, and been insured by both of the companies here. Have found both very reasonable and timely to deal with in the past, hope you have the same experience. Most recently a 172 my partner and I own and lease to a flight school had a very minor prop strike (aluminum towbar left attached, bounced into prop during taxi) left a small nick that might have been dressed out, but citing the Lycoming SB on prop strikes, Avemco paid for a full engine teardown inspection and new prop (had just recently completed a Penn-Yann 180 hp conversion with a new prop <300hrs) no-questions-asked. Have found aircraft insurers to be much more reasonable that auto. A friend of mine owns one of the Falcon Insurance branches (Scottsdale, AZ) and said hull losses don't bother the underwriters nearly as much as dead bodies and the certain lawsuits that follow. Best of luck, and sorry for your loss.

Dana,

Based on what you saw yesterday, do you suppose there may be any twist in the right wing?

Did you have hull coverage?

I may have missed that in the many postings. What do you mean by the 49.2 hours?