What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 496 to Dynon D180 connector pinouts

Hansgiant

Hello Rv'ers

Urgent please help!

I urgently need the pinouts on the Dynon which would make the GPS and the Dynon talk to each other. (The 9 pin D connector pin outs on the D180)
The 496 is already wired in but I can't get them talking.

Any advice welcome.

Hansgiant
Beautiful RV12:):)

The 496 A/P outputs connect directly to the RV12 panel and not directly to the D180, if I am not mistaken. Maybe Joe Gores will chime in shortly and solve your problem. He is the resident guru on such matters.

The way that most RV-12 are wired, the 496 GPS talks to the Dynon D-180, but the 496 does not listen. The 496 GPS RS232 OUTPUT from pin 8 (blue wire) connects to the D-180 RS-232 INPUT pin 19 of the 37-pin EMS D-Sub. That same wire also connects to the Garmin SL-40 com radio pin 10. If you have Van's wiring harness, that wire is a very small white coax that also goes to the ELT. Make sure the center conductor and shield are not shorted together at the ELT.
The 496 GPS black ground wire (pin 9) needs to be connected to a ground pin on the D-180 (EMS pin 3 or 5 or 13 or 16 or 17).
Joe Gores

You guys seem to know a lot about the D180 so let me ask a related question. Is the GTX 327 tied into the common data bus and able to get GPS position data? I'm trying to figure out if GTX 330ES could be a simple ADS-B Out solution by replacing the 327. I'm clueless about hardware interfaces and capabilities at this point and trying to educate myself, so if this is a stupid idea that's why.

RFSchaller,
the GTX 327 does have RS232 input capability but it is not utilized in the RV-12. It could be connected to the GPS 496 with the addition of another wire.
SteinAir can answer your questions and will be happy to sell you the required avionics.
They are one of the advertisers on VansAirforce.
Joe Gores

Last edited:
The way that most RV-12 are wired, the 496 GPS talks to the Dynon D-180, but the 496 does not listen. The 496 GPS RS232 OUTPUT from pin 8 (blue wire) connects to the D-180 RS-232 INPUT pin 19 of the 37-pin EMS D-Sub. That same wire also connects to the Garmin SL-40 com radio pin 10. If you have Van's wiring harness, that wire is a very small white coax that also goes to the ELT. Make sure the center conductor and shield are not shorted together at the ELT.
The 496 GPS black ground wire (pin 9) needs to be connected to a ground pin on the D-180 (EMS pin 3 or 5 or 13 or 16 or 17).
Joe Gores

Joe, do you think I could wire a selector switch on the blue wire and be able to select between my Ifly gps output and my 496 output to slave the auto pilot?

You guys seem to know a lot about the D180 so let me ask a related question. Is the GTX 327 tied into the common data bus and able to get GPS position data? I'm trying to figure out if GTX 330ES could be a simple ADS-B Out solution by replacing the 327. I'm clueless about hardware interfaces and capabilities at this point and trying to educate myself, so if this is a stupid idea that's why.

This is probably in the wrong thread, but the GTX 330 has an LOA of 11.25 inches, and the GTX 327 LOA is 8.78 inches. That alone may make the change out impractical for the RV-12. As I remember there is not a lot of room behind the existing transponder in the D-180 panel.

Still battling

Ok so I think the wiring is correct as we have a Vans wiring harness. Perhaps it's a configuration in either the Dynon or the Gamin. I have tried setting both to a Baud rate of 9600 and both on Auto.

Very frustrating. How do I even know if the Garmin and Dynon see each other at all?

The manual is pretty useless it would seem as it doesn't explain the setup of the Garmin at all.

Hmmmmf!

Hans,
Read this thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=57892
Have you made sure that the very small white coax to the ELT is not shorted?
Peter said, "go to interfaces on the 496 (then advanced mode) and change your Aviation/NMEA setting from fast to normal."
John Peck said, "It should be set to "Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out".
Look for magenta on the D-180 HSI page.
Joe Gores

Joe, do you think I could wire a selector switch on the blue wire and be able to select between my Ifly gps output and my 496 output to slave the auto pilot?
Dave,
Yes, that is possible, provided that the iFly data is compatible with the SkyView. Page 39 of the iFly manual talks about "Sending GPS Info to External Devices."
I assume you want to do this in the event the GPS 496 fails. Consider that adding a switch and wires introduces more failure points and complexity.
Joe Gores

I might give it try. I have the D180 system and it seems to be possible to do. The Ifly is my "GoTo" GPS. Much quicker and easier to use than the 496. I am planning on using a Clarity ADSB for my weather, so the 496 will just be a back-up if all of this works. Thanks Joe.

Thanks for those who replied about the viability of switching out the GTX 327 for a 330ES for ADSB-Out. You've given me some things to ponder.

Back