What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Gust Buster" Control lock Review

Walt

Well Known Member
A customer asked me to install one of these for him and I was so impressed with the unit that I decided to install one in my own plane. My prior system consisted of a rudder pedal "lock" and the seatbelt; each year I considered myself lucky to have survived Oshkosh weather with no damage. However I was always uncomfortable with what I was using so when I saw this unit in person I figured it was a good time to make the change.

The unit is really very easy to install. The rudder lock is drilled for your specific rudder pedal location and then you install a clip on each side of the panel (mounted to the horizontal bend on the lower part of the panel) and a couple of seat belt clips where the seatbelt attaches on each side.

What I really like is the way this system progressively dampens the movement of the surfaces rather than "locking" them in place and that it keeps the controls faired with the surface as compared to my seatbelt which applied full up elevator.

Anyway if you're headed to SunNFun or Oshkosh and are in need a good control lock "system", this is the best one I've seen.

Link to Wild Blue Innovations (shipped quick and Loal is a great guy to deal with).

(PS: I have no affiliation with Loal or the company)

Picture installed on my RV7A

IMG_4417.jpg

Last edited:
Two thumbs up!

Bought mine at OSH 2012. What Walt said - Works great! They came up with an upgrade recently to further improve it.

DITTO

I agree with Walt. I installed mine about 2 months ago and the day I installed it there was 10 to 15kts blowing so I put the plane out in front of my hangar and watched. Nothing really move much at all but you can see real quick that as you rachet up the wind from there the better it works. No hard stops to bang against anything. Just a dampening effect of the bungy cords.

You can say its pricey but in the big view of what your plane costs it will be well worth it!

Last edited:
Anyone with an A model 7 or 9 and Classic Aero Aviator side panel kits using this?

How does the rudder gust lock bracket work with the gear covers that come with the side panel kit?

Last edited:
I received mine as a gift from a very nice person on VAF. I do have a hard time getting the bungee over the stick, but I have the (of course) cheapie foam rubber single button Ray Allen grip. And it's small potatoes and takes nothing away from the fact it's a quality product.

Anyone with an A model 7 or 9 and Classic Aero Aviator side panel kits using this?

How does the rudder gust lock bracket work with the gear covers?

The side panels should not present a problem but the gear tower cover will conflict with the rudder lock and the lock retainer. The retainer (anchors the aft side of the rudder lock in place) picks up 3 screws from the floor board which are used by to hold the Aero classic cover in place. The cover itself will also inhibit the straight line needed from the spar to the rudder pedals.

The side panels should not present a problem but the gear tower cover will conflict with the rudder lock and the lock retainer. The retainer (anchors the aft side of the rudder lock in place) picks up 3 screws from the floor board which are used by to hold the Aero classic cover in place. The cover itself will also inhibit the straight line needed from the spar to the rudder pedals.

That was my assumption, thanks Walt. I mentioned the panel kit, because the gear tower/welment covers come with the Aviator side panel kit.

That was my assumption, thanks Walt. I mentioned the panel kit, because the gear tower/welment covers come with the Aviator side panel kit.

Hi Guys, Loal Wood here from Wild Blue Innovations maker of the Gust Buster. This is my first ever post on the site so I hope I'm doing it right.
We have a model of the Gust Buster for the 7A's and 9A's with the gear weldment covers that Classic Aero Interiors make. It is currently in production and should be avaiable in a couple of weeks, just wanted to let you know. Thanks to all!

Welcome to VAF!

Hi Guys, Loal Wood here -----This is my first ever post on the site

Loal, welcome to the good ship VAF:D

Do you make a unit for the 10??

Lots larger rudder area, probably need bigger springs?

Good to have you aboard.

Gust Buster Availability

Mike, thank you for the welcome to VAF. I got a little posting dual last night so maybe this will go a little better.

For those interested:

Here's some info on what Gust Busters are available and what we are working on.

Gust Buster gust control systems are in stock for the RV 6, 7, 9, and 7A, 9A WITHOUT gear weldment covers.

The 6A, are in production and will soon be available.

The 7A, 9A for RV's WITH gear weldment covers are in production and will soon be available.

The 8 and 8A are in production and available soon.

The RV12 is currently being field tested by David Valcik and will soon be in production. We also have a tail stand for the 12 that David testing.

We are currently working on the RV 10 Gust Buster prototype. Working out the spring size for the rudder, measuring and fitting etc.

I will keep you posted. Thanks for the interest!
Loal

The 7A, 9A for RV's WITH gear weldment covers are in production and will soon be available.

This is good news. Looks like I may have one for a 7A for sale when this version hits the streets. I actually cut a flap in my weldment cover so I could use the Gustbuster. This is truly a great product, and I sing its praise to anyone who will listen. Loal has provided top notch customer service. I wish his company success and encourage everyone to take a good look at the Gustbuster. Feel free to PM with any questions or for pics.

Last edited:
Great Product!

I purchased this system for my 9A last year at Oshkosh and I have been VERY impressed. I have met with Loal several times (he actually did an onsite adjustment of the bungee cords for me!) and he has been great to work with. I am very glad that he finally has joined the crowd here!

Peter K
9A-470 hrs

I made a rudder gust lock similiar to the gust busters using PVC pipe.
Is light, strong and will never to be forgotten before flight.

Is the PVC a control lock? Or does it do what the gust buster does?

I've got one of the gust busters and its not a control lock.

If folks aren't familiar with what the product is and what it does, just watch the videos.

I made a rudder gust lock similiar to the gust busters using PVC pipe.
Is light, strong and will never to be forgotten before flight.

The rudder allows for some movement and is not fixed as would be with pvc. I agree with badmrb's comment watch the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IY34b1A33lo

I will post a few pictures later this week with the installation for the RV12.

Not sure how soon Loal will have the production version out but it nice and light weight.

Back