Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 PM

Default Philadelphia to Austin's SXSW music festival

Like most of us, my wife has a bucket list. She's always wanted to go to Austin's South by Southwest music festival. I love the challenges associated with a long cross country so I also got to combine some RV time into the mix. Since we were down near 52F, I decided to have Walt do my annual this year. I think 52F is a mecca for RVs rivaling Independence, Oregon for number of RVs on the field. I was going to be in heaven. (Of course this was all for my wife's enjoyment )

VAF had suggested a rental car so we scheduled one to be waiting for us in Fort Worth and we would drive down to Austin (3 hour drive) so we could explore even more.

We are all packed and ready to go.

Of course our on time departure was delayed due to Air traffic Control (ler's wife) She thinks it's USAIR and has to have her coffee and snacks.

No first class flight would be without an inflight movie...

As we pass KFDK (Home of AOPA) we noticed snow in the higher elevations.

I realize this is not the Rockies but the Allegheny Mountains must also be respected!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 03-19-2013, 09:10 PM

Our first stop was Danville, KY. KDVK, is a very nice stop. Cheap fuel (under $5) and they even pump it for you as you use their beautiful facilities. Sorry, forgot to take pics.

We travel southwest to our next stop in Carlisle, Arkansas but not before crossing the mighty Mississippi.

Not much in Carlisle except cheap fuel, friendly FBO, and a crew car to go get some good catfish!

Of course Pierre Smith's buddies are there....

We thought of staying the night but we were only 2 hours or so from 52F and there was weather approaching from the west that may have had us stuck for a day or so if we didn't beat it to Fort Worth.

We almost didnt beat the approaching weather...

I was getting continuous reports from local Fort Worth control towers about what kind of weather was there (GO ATC!!). That along with my XM weather picture I was able to press on and make it to 52F.

Just in time it seems....distant lightning to the west.

We made it to Walt's hangar to find our rental car waiting.

A VW Beetle! Cool! We asked for the cheapest car and Enterprise delivered this to Walt.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 03-19-2013, 09:22 PM

The next day I had a few appointments to keep. Anyone recognize THIS plane?

Yep, DR's famous VanCave!! Complete with a couple finished RVs, a couple a projects, (also a top secret project) and of course the staple of GA...the Cub.

A view for the cave's perch. DR's son Tate gave me the grand tour. You may have seen DR bragging about Tate on the front page. I must say, he was a very delightful young man to talk to and I can see why Doug is so proud.

I'm sure this firewall has been shown on VAF before!

Next stop, Hicks Field to visit Jay Pratt's RVCENTRAL! On my way there I saw that Walt was already hard at work on my Tweety bird...on a SUNDAY!!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 PM

Some of you may recognize this...

Here's a hint for you out-of-towners.

Then I found the man I was looking for....Jay.

Jay was extremely friendly and would have talked to me for hours. Teaching me things and showing me the various projects under construction. I learned a few things but was overwhelmed at all the things I saw and heard. My head was spinning so bad I forgot to ask half the questions I could have...

Jay's theory is "Keep it simple and get it flying" Hard to argue with that.

He doesn't build just RVs either.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 03-19-2013, 09:45 PM

I could have stayed there for a week. But I had to take care of the boss and off to Austin we went. They have a capitol building bigger than the White House!

This is the biggest Lone Star in the state. 25' tall and 33,000 lbs!

Beautiful city!

Where I come from it's call a river....but it Texas they dam several portions and call them "Lakes"

Many of you will recognize this tower at University of Texas. Tragedy plagued this beautiful tower after a gunman used a sniper rifle from this perch to kill many.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 PM

Austin is trendy and "young" and prides itself on being "Weird". I can vouch for the city and say it can be very weird indeed.

Body paint and shorts ONLY...oh yeah, signs too!

6th Street gets wild at night.

The music was EVERYWHERE. Probably 100+ venues in a 3 block area. Bands a plenty.

More to follow tomorrow....

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 03-20-2013, 07:47 AM

Great work so far Tony. Can't wait for the follow-up and ride home pics.
Gary Palinkas - Gman.... VAF #161
Venice, Fl
RV-6 "Sassy" Flying 400 hrs since Oct 2011
Lycoming 0-360 A1A, FP Sensenich Prop
SARL #19 .... Van's Calendar March 2015
Although exempt several ways, =VAF= Dues paid to support this awesome site/family
Old 03-20-2013, 08:20 AM

Great pictures and thanks for the write up. Any trip details? Flight times etc.
http://buildingrv10.blogspot.com
Old 03-20-2013, 03:50 PM

Flight times....I want to say the trip down was 1154 miles and about 8:45 due to the strong headwinds on the last leg. I could have stayed low and avoided it but it was pretty bumpy and my co-pilot doesn't do well with turbulence. Here is my route down but I'll save my return trip for later.

Anyway, back to Austin. Skinny jeans and young kids....

Yep, WEIRD!! But beautiful. Here is the Driskill hotel, too rich for me! It recently sold for $60 million.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 03-20-2013, 03:59 PM

Now for my cousin's favorite part. FOOD! You guys have heard of Stubb's BBQ. The restaurant started in Austin.

Most ribs are pork but I LOVE BEEF ribs. They are rarely served where I live so I had to wait 30 minutes for these to be ready.

WORTH THE WAIT!!

I also have a weak spot for good Chili....even though it was 85*.
I'm told there was a movie shot at this place. Weird place but GOOD chili.

Texas chili does not have any beans...only succulant beef!! Delicious.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)