Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 12:58 PM

Default Issue with Left Air Inlet Ramp

I'm to the step where I need to cut the air ramps to clean the air inlets in the cowling and I am having an issue with the left ramp. I temporarily placed the 2" SCAT tube flange on top of the ramp to make the issue clearer in my photo. I see three options and problems:

1) If I cut the ramp back per the plans, it will cut into the location of the scat tube flange mount. So I would need to move it to the right.

2) If I move the SCAT tube hole to the right, then it would be buried under the conical side flange that will be installed between the ramp and the upright side baffle.

3) I could cut the cowl inlet itself shorter. Currently the inlet sizes are per plans (2" on the outer portion of the inlet, and 3.5" near the prop"). This may or may not necessitate removing the aft most nutplates near the flywheel.

Other ideas? Recommendations? FYI this is a stock setup for the RV-10 (IO-540, etc..)

Flying - AKA Still Tinkering
Build Project Site
Old 02-28-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieWaffles View Post
I'm to the step where I need to cut the air ramps to clean the air inlets in the cowling and I am having an issue with the left ramp. I temporarily placed the 2" SCAT tube flange on top of the ramp to make the issue clearer in my photo. I see three options and problems:

1) If I cut the ramp back per the plans, it will cut into the location of the scat tube flange mount. So I would need to move it to the right.

2) If I move the SCAT tube hole to the right, then it would be buried under the conical side flange that will be installed between the ramp and the upright side baffle.

3) I could cut the cowl inlet itself shorter. Currently the inlet sizes are per plans (2" on the outer portion of the inlet, and 3.5" near the prop"). This may or may not necessitate removing the aft most nutplates near the flywheel.

Other ideas? Recommendations? FYI this is a stock setup for the RV-10 (IO-540, etc..)

Charlie,

As with the cabin top and doors, I think Van's recommended cut lines are just starting points. I cut the al. ramp back to within 1/4" of the hole, which eliminated one rivet hole. Then trimmed the aft edge of the fiberglass till I had a 3/8" gap between the 2 edges. If I was doing it again I would trim the fiberglass to leave more of a gap. It is very difficult, but not impossible, to pull the rubber gap seal in to place when reinstalling the lower cowl. A larger gap would make it easier.

Jim Berry
RV-10
Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 PM

I did not have to remove that fwd rivet, I left about 1/4" gap which was too tight. I have to use an ice pick or cotter pin puller to get rubber seal pulled up. Before you do your final install, you may want to cut both air dams down 1/2" to start. Several have removed them completely.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:26 AM

Mark,
It appears that your cowl inlet ramp is to deep. When I trimmed the inlet I ended up cutting the ramp all the way back to minimum distance for the forward rivet, I then cut the glass back to obtain a 1/2" gap. It's still a real pain to install the cowl. As Wayne stated, you have to use a screw driver or pick to pull the baffle seal over the top of the engine inlet ramp when you are installing the cowl. I would recommend at least 3/4" gap between the glass inlet and the engine ramp. Below is a photo of how far back I have the engine inlet trimmed. You should also think about eliminating or trimming the front cylinder dam. I ended up removing it completely and I think Tim Olson removed all but the last third. I added the only photo I could find of the cowl inlet

First Flight Oct 2012
Aviation Partners, LLC

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Last edited by Bill.Peyton : 03-01-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 AM

Bill, from the looks of the second picture your inlet is cut back enough that there are only two screws near the propeller area, is that correct or is it that just two of them are cleco'd?
Flying - AKA Still Tinkering
Build Project Site
Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 AM

There are 3 screws, just 2 were clecoed
First Flight Oct 2012
Aviation Partners, LLC

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:32 PM

The air dams on different -10s run the gamut from full height to none. I suggest installing them with nutplates instead of rivets, so they are easy to modify.

Jim Berry
RV-10
Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 PM

I ran into this issue also. I opted for #3. 165 hours no problems.
https://N42BU.com
Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 PM

Default couple more pics

Nothing much to add here just what everyone said, trim more off the inlet ramp.

Running on 91 Octane E10 mogas since 2011
Don't believe everything you know.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:26 AM

Default No room

Quote:
Originally Posted by N15JB View Post
The air dams on different -10s run the gamut from full height to none. I suggest installing them with nutplates instead of rivets, so they are easy to modify.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Jim, it's a good idea but there isn't any room for the nutplates. The air dams are right up against the cylinders fins.

David