Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 01:40 PM

Default Getting ready for my 1st IFR trip, need some tips...

Hello all. My day job is driving a Dash 8 around the northeast, nearly 5000 hours in it. But now I'm trying to get myself ready to fly a nicely equipped RV7 IFR. I'm checked out in it and my dad and myself did a couple of short IFR trips. When I'm in my Dash, my eyes are trained where the information is that I need. In the RV, I find myself searching, which takes time and increases workload. I didn't realize how different it is flying IFR in GA compared to airlines. It's a lot of work! I know I'll get more comfortable with time.

My biggest problem that I need some help with is organizing. I'm used to having my flight bag right next to me with tons of room. In the 7, once you take off, if its not within reach, you aren't getting it.

On Friday, my buddy, who is a flight instructor, is going to help me get more familiar with the Garman 430 and 496. On Sat, my wife and myself are going to take a short IFR flight somewhere to get lunch. That'll be our practice trip. Should be a beautiful day to go fly. This is all to get ready for our big trip, a flight from NC to FL for Christmas. My minimums are going to be pretty high. I'm not going to be flying in bad weather anytime soon. I get paid to fly in bad weather, I'm not doing it on my days off

I'll have my iPhone 5 with foreflight, and normal charts and maps for back up. I'm thinking a small note pad with a pen and some clips to clip charts to.

What do you guys do to stay organized?

Thanks guys,
Steve

Old 12-12-2012, 01:49 PM

The thing you'll miss most is that altitude alerter; unless you have that in your EFIS. Pen/pencil and some scratch paper is good. All charts within reach. I would not rely on iPhone for anything in flight. I use an iPad. Use your CRM skills and put your wife to work holding charts for you. A couple of trips and you'll be comfortable.

Enjoy!
Fredericksburg, TX
Old 12-12-2012, 02:10 PM

I would caution you about ice. If there is a forecast of icing possible at altitudes you can not avoid then I would simply not fly.

George
Old 12-12-2012, 02:10 PM

is that a TT auto pilot? very helpful for ifr flight. i like the 430/496, same as my 6, combo but would like to see the 496 on your left side above the vent on a swivel. other than that you look good to go. you sound well trained so go have a ball and report back with a trip report. if you get to south florida look us up.
Stuart, Fl / East Hampton,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - villa sold.
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg
Old 12-12-2012, 02:19 PM

Garmin web site has, or at least used to have, a 430 simulator you could download to a PC. Much easier to practice at home than up in the air.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:24 PM

+2 on what George said! If there's a hint of ice stay on the ground or in VMC.
Fredericksburg, TX
Old 12-12-2012, 04:32 PM

Default My personal pet peeves

My assumption is worst case, single-piloted in the goo the whole time. My ideas might not be as big if its IFR in VMC.

I have an elastic strip that fits around my right hand and holds my pen in position. It sounds like not much, but having it instantly available vice reaching to a pocket or kneeboard, etc is very nice.

Pre-fold the charts

Use tape flags to mark your approach plates. I color code it, green for expected based on winds, yellow for others at destination, red for alternate.

Extensive pre-flight planning. I make a flight packet with full 8.5x11 overview of route, apch plates, airport with taxi way, frequencies enroute (all possible, so all I have to do is just circle the correct one that I was given), etc.

Great crew brief.

These served me very well with a lot of single-pilot IFR/IMC in a CFI to Student relationship.
RV-14 #140050 SOLD

Permanently willing to contribute fuel for RV rides

Helicopter ATP/CFI(I)
ASEL/Glider Commercial/Inst/CFI(I)
AMEL ATP
Aerobatic Enthusiast
Enjoying flying the 747 around the world.
Atlanta based.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:54 PM

Thanks guys. I'll definitely watch out for ice. Ice in the Dash is a non event, so it's something I need to start paying attention to.

I'm really planning on staying VMC for my 1st few trips. Then I'll start punching through high overcast layers. Being that this is a single engine airplane, I don't see the need to fly in weather requiring an approach to get in. That and night.

So, I've got a pair of cargo pants, I think those will be my "RV" pants. Those extra pockets will come in handy.

I like the idea of pre folding maps and color coding approach plates. I'll have to do that. Our first flight is going to a BBQ joint on a small airport about 30 minutes away. It'll be a good flight to try and get all this figured out.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 PM

As stated before learn to use the 430. It is not intuitive, at least it was not for me. However with more use I am finding it much easier to use; after complaining so much about the unit I am almost ashamed to say that now, with a bit of practice, it even make sense! Make sure that you know how to add and remove waypoints, how to activate a particular leg in the flight plan, and how the 430 interacts with your EFFIS, and your autopilot.
I really like the pencil strapped to the hand trick, i am going to try that one. I make a running list of all the frequencies that i have used. If nothing else it will help on the return trip.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 12-12-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve91t View Post
Thanks guys. I'll definitely watch out for ice. Ice in the Dash is a non event, so it's something I need to start paying attention to.

I'm really planning on staying VMC for my 1st few trips. Then I'll start punching through high overcast layers. Being that this is a single engine airplane, I don't see the need to fly in weather requiring an approach to get in. That and night.

So, I've got a pair of cargo pants, I think those will be my "RV" pants. Those extra pockets will come in handy.

I like the idea of pre folding maps and color coding approach plates. I'll have to do that. Our first flight is going to a BBQ joint on a small airport about 30 minutes away. It'll be a good flight to try and get all this figured out.
Steve, Are you going to fly to the PicNPig? If so let me know when you are going and I will meet you there! Great food!!!
George