Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:57 AM

Default Ski Truck

Hi all,

I finished modifying my -3 to carry my skis and can't wait to use it to do a bit of skiing this year! This topic has been discussed before so nothing new but thought someone might like to see the approach that I took.

The details on my blog at Ski Truck Epilogue.

BTW: The skis are not secured in the above photo but will be when they actually go flying. Also, the bindings do not interfere with the elevator control. Obviously, control system interference would make for a really lousy day so avoiding that was one of the top safety issues with a mod like this.
http://jdfinley.com
Videos
Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 AM

Default Nice mod

Been thinking about this myself for my 9A.

Have you calculated what this does to balance? Skis are not light and way back in the tail I can see maybe causing an issue with CG. Not sure how I would address this question prior to build.

Would be interested in seeing your restraint system too.

Thanks,

Tom
Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/
Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Hey JD - I really like the design - very simple, low added weight to the aircraft, and yes - wouldn't we all like to take our skis in our single seater and head to the mountains!

I too would like to see how your W&B comes out though - granted, every RV-3 is different, and a lot depends on what prop you used and where your battery is...but our -3 is biased towards the aft end of the envelope already, and I doubt we could stay in the envelope with bindings back behind the baggage bulkhead.

I know that for our airplane, I'd probably have to do a re-weigh to convince myself we were OK.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 AM

Paul, all he needs to do is ty-rap his boots to the exhaust stack and he's good to go.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerhed View Post
Paul, all he needs to do is ty-rap his boots to the exhaust stack and he's good to go.
The Horror!
GNC255 Nav/Com, GA240 audio panel)
RV8, N188PD "Valkyrie" (by marriage)
Old 12-12-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8torTom View Post
Have you calculated what this does to balance? Skis are not light and way back in the tail I can see maybe causing an issue with CG. Not sure how I would address this question prior to build.
Hi Tom. Yep, I ran the numbers. My skis weight 12 pounds. The balance point (of the skis) is such that it sits right on the aft baggage compartment bulkhead when loaded. In my simple mind, this equates to 12 pounds sitting on bulkhead F-306. In my RV-3, F-306 and is 122" aft of the datum. Skipping over the math, this results in the CG moving 6 tenths of inch aft when the skis are loaded. The ski poles don't weigh much of anything (ounces) so I didn't worry about them. However; ski boots are heavy. I tend to fly with an aft CG and so always load as much heavy stuff in front of me as possible (between my feet near the pedals). Camping trips have been my heaviest of loads and things like water and food goes up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8torTom View Post
Would be interested in seeing your restraint system too.
I'll take a photo the next time I load things up. It is nothing fancy, just a bunch of chord and bungees holding the skis from moving up/down and fore/aft. The way the ski bindings straddle the U-channel in the bulkhead prevents them from moving fore/aft more than about an inch (but I won't count on that - will still tie things down).
Videos
Old 12-12-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Hey JD - I really like the design - very simple, low added weight to the aircraft, and yes - wouldn't we all like to take our skis in our single seater and head to the mountains!
Thanks Paul!

Quote:
I too would like to see how your W&B comes out though
Full fuel and skis, it comes out at 62.9". To that, boots and warm clothes have to be added but those things are distributed better (not so far aft). All in all, I expect to carry about 40 pounds of gear when skiiing with a CG of 62.8" (moves forward when the boots are stationed at about 55") . This is more favorable than the 60 pounds and high density altitudes normally carried on camping trips. Note: these are calculated numbers.

Home is E98 at 5000' MSL and I've made many departures with camping loads from strips in Idaho, Utah, and New Mexico. The worst was probably Negrito at 8143' MSL and 70 degrees (nearly 11,000' DA) and Daisy does just great - in fact, it's pretty impressive compared to many of the other aircraft. Climbing out of Price, UT with all my gear (on the way to Idaho), I found myself thinking that an O-320 just isn't enough and that I need more - after all, here I am at a DA of about 8500' and I'm only climbing at 800 FPM at 120 mph IAS. Then I realized what I was thinking! Kinda funny - most aviators would LOVE that kind of performance under any conditions never mind fully load, high, and hot! Daisy is spectacular - I think I luuvvv her!!
Videos
Old 12-12-2012, 12:35 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Dang - that's cool JD!

Makes me think I might have to do some calculations for Tsam....and maybe we want one of those lightweight LiFe batteries to replace the Odyssey - that'd buy us back 15 lbs right behind the pilot's backside.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 12-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Dang - that's cool JD!
To give credit where it's due, the whole thing was my RV-4 buddy's idea. He's been doing the day ski trip for years. I mentioned joining him this year and that set the whole mod in motion.

Quote:
....and maybe we want one of those lightweight LiFe batteries to replace the Odyssey - that'd buy us back 15 lbs right behind the pilot's backside.
I'm at an advantage here - and am working on it. I've removed about forty pounds right out of the pilot seat without having to make ANY mods to the airplane and have about another forty left to go.
Videos
Old 12-13-2012, 07:47 AM

i am sure glad you are not having to try to due this years ago when the skis went 7 feet long. that is a lot of gear for a single seater. i will definitely keep tabs on this post and be lookn for some pics of your adventures. a VAF sticker on your helmet atop the first mountain pic. you could probably get a group of VAF skiers to join up with you. what areas are you planning on flying to? i am a long time skier east and west coast, cats, helis, i love the sport, not the sub zero wx. keep us posted. keep um turning.
Stuart, Fl / East Hampton,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - villa sold.
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg