There's an advantage to living close to Van's. No crating and no shipping of wing kit required to take delivery.
With the help of fellow RV-8er Randy I got the wing kit home this afternoon.
I'm currently taking inventory but very happy with what I see so far. Here are a few of the highlights.
- Very nice full-size punched holes that will require minimal deburring before assembly.
- Instructions printed right on the 11x17 plan pages. I needed my glasses before when I built the -9A so smaller plan pages won't be an issue. No other instruction pages required. I hear that's like the -12.
- Comes with those nice new fuel caps that are easy to open and very light weight.
- Trailing edge aileron wedge material pre-punch for rivets, complete with lightning holes. That's a cool time saver compared to the -9 empennage trailing edges.
- Complete wiring harnesses. Not only for nav lights but for wing mounted ADAHDS and autopilot servo. Now that's cool. And all made by Stein. They have Molex plugs on the ends so I'm assuming the fuse wiring kit will mate up to them.
- Nice gray colored wingtips. Maybe that means improved gelcoat or something.
Well, back to the inventory to see what other nice surprises I'm in for. I can see this airplane going together much faster than the previous solid rivet models.