- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:02 PM

Default RV-14 Wing Kit Awesome!

There's an advantage to living close to Van's. No crating and no shipping of wing kit required to take delivery. With the help of fellow RV-8er Randy I got the wing kit home this afternoon.

I'm currently taking inventory but very happy with what I see so far. Here are a few of the highlights.

- Very nice full-size punched holes that will require minimal deburring before assembly.

- Instructions printed right on the 11x17 plan pages. I needed my glasses before when I built the -9A so smaller plan pages won't be an issue. No other instruction pages required. I hear that's like the -12.

- Comes with those nice new fuel caps that are easy to open and very light weight.

- Trailing edge aileron wedge material pre-punch for rivets, complete with lightning holes. That's a cool time saver compared to the -9 empennage trailing edges.

- Complete wiring harnesses. Not only for nav lights but for wing mounted ADAHDS and autopilot servo. Now that's cool. And all made by Stein. They have Molex plugs on the ends so I'm assuming the fuse wiring kit will mate up to them.

- Nice gray colored wingtips. Maybe that means improved gelcoat or something.

Well, back to the inventory to see what other nice surprises I'm in for. I can see this airplane going together much faster than the previous solid rivet models.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 PM

Mark--
Please keep us up to date on the little things with the 14. From what I've heard, it is going to be a great plane, and faster to build.
Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7A Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan, on hold while we develop new products for RV builders
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcattell View Post
- Instructions printed right on the 11x17 plan pages. I needed my glasses before when I built the -9A so smaller plan pages won't be an issue. No other instruction pages required. I hear that's like the -12.
Sounds like it's the same as the -12. And I can tell you the RV-12 plans are great! If the same concept, you will love it!

RV-12 Built / Sold / Flying
Currently Flying: Cessna Skylane 182
* Hoping Vans decides to offer a bush plane, before I order something else! **EDIT**: got tired of waiting, and bought a '46 J3 Cub!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:39 AM

The inventory is done and all good. I also noticed the tie down plates are pre-installed on the spars and tapped for tie down lugs. The stall switch kit is also included with the wings. And you may have already heard that both wings have holes already cut in the leading edge for landing lights and come with bulb mounting plates & lenses. The holes are similar to the holes you'd cut for the typical Duckworks lights on other RV's.

One other thing I noticed looking at the demo RV-14, is that the flap rod seems to be internal to the wing. So it's not sticking down through a big hole in the bottom of the fuse. That's a nice improvement.

Assembly starts tomorrow!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 AM

Hi Mark
It is good to hear there is a local RV14 builder. I may have to come out and check it out some time.

Happy building!!

Richard
Old 12-05-2012, 11:59 AM

Thanks Mark for sharing! I am very interested in keep up with your progress. I plan on a 14 build in the future. Do you have a website set up for sharing your build? If so, would you share?
Thanks!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:52 PM

Mark, this is great to hear. I had an idea... maybe halfway into it, you could have a chapter 105 meeting at your shop. I'll bet it'll be packed with people like me who want to see it!
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
Old 12-05-2012, 12:52 PM

By the way, all of you who had your kit already shipped are probably missing Bag 1215-1, aileron brackets. It was shown at the end of the material list but not the expanded list with the complete bag breakdown. Vans is now aware of this and are shipping me and probably you the missing parts.

I also let them know about the typo of "RV-12 Design Objectives" in big bold print in the manual introduction, so no need for everyone to remind them of that one. I'm sure there'll be more little corrections along the way as with any new kit.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:33 PM

Talking

My kit (140035)
is scheduled for a 12/20 ship. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:36 PM

You do realise that without pictures you are just teasing us

Due to life getting in the way, I will not be able to start for about 18 months. However, by then I am expecting the trailblazers on the -14 will be showing us the way. Looking forward to following your build!

Cheers,

Chris