VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 AM
prkaye prkaye is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,127
Default how often re-grease wheel bearings?

As per subject. How often do you guys clean and re-grease your wheel bearings?
__________________
Phil
RV9A (SB)
Flying since July 2010!
Ottawa, Canada
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-20-2012, 07:50 AM
tommylewis's Avatar
tommylewis tommylewis is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 795
Default my rvs

I always repack wheel bearings at the annual condition inspection. I know that is sooner than necessary, but then I don't have to remember when I did them last.
__________________
Tom Lewis
RV7a N967BT 2040 hrs.
RV10 N143EB 1050 hrs.
Granbury, Tx
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/WYQQ#history/assets
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Sam Buchanan's Avatar
Sam Buchanan Sam Buchanan is offline
been here awhile
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 4,464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkaye View Post
As per subject. How often do you guys clean and re-grease your wheel bearings?
Phil, I'm not trying to ignore your question, but I clean/pack the bearings when they need it. That means sometimes they get it at condition inspection, sometimes they don't, and sometimes it is when I am flipping tires between condition inspections. The wheels come off the plane at least once a year for inspection or tire flipping and the bearings get inspected each time (rotate by hand to check for roughness) but cleaned and greased only as needed. After you fly your plane a while you will get a feel for how often this is necessary.

After 13 years and 1100 hrs, I'm still on the original bearings.
__________________
Sam Buchanan
RV-6

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 11-20-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-20-2012, 08:11 AM
prkaye prkaye is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,127
Default

Ok, so you just visually inspect the bearings for dirt and grime? I admit, in over 2 years of flying I have yet to take mine apart and look at them
__________________
Phil
RV9A (SB)
Flying since July 2010!
Ottawa, Canada
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 AM
humptybump humptybump is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 3,181
Default

My A&P has me clean and repackage at each condition inspection.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 AM
rocketbob's Avatar
rocketbob rocketbob is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 8I3
Posts: 3,759
Default

I have modified my Rocket axles and wheels to use an amphib bearing kit, and have a zerk on the axle. I can regrease in seconds, and do it more often since its easy to do. With a little bit of work a RV axle could be modified to do the same.
__________________

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Sam Buchanan's Avatar
Sam Buchanan Sam Buchanan is offline
been here awhile
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 4,464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkaye View Post
Ok, so you just visually inspect the bearings for dirt and grime? I admit, in over 2 years of flying I have yet to take mine apart and look at them
There probably isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to your question, but I suggest you take a look at your wheel bearings. If they are not showing any sign of wear, grease is still clean and hasn't started drying out, and you don't want to clean/repack every year, service the bearings and then service based on condition instead of time. But at least look at them each year. Some will say it doesn't take much more time to clean and regrease......so, whatever is your preference.

I've never found dirt and grit in my bearings but this could be dependent on where a particular plane is operated.
__________________
Sam Buchanan
RV-6
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-20-2012, 09:37 AM
rv8bldr's Avatar
rv8bldr rv8bldr is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pakenham, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 617
Default

Hey Phil

I do mine every annual inspection.
__________________
Mark

RV-8 C-GURV (Flying since Nov 2004) - Sold
Scratch building 4pl Bearhawk (C-GPFG reserved)
Flying a '79 Maule M5-235C
Ex-military : Donated anyway (it's worth it)

President EAA 245 Ottawa, ON
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-20-2012, 10:30 AM
JonJay's Avatar
JonJay JonJay is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Battleground
Posts: 4,348
Default

At risk of sounding like a childrens book; I follow Sam, Sam I follow I am....
(Sam is on my short list of "experts" that if I see respond to a post, I read it. Mel, Dan, Iron, Walt, etc... I read em....)

I pack them when the wheels are off if they need it. Out with the old grease, in with the new. I believe the bulk of any contaminant will depart with the old grease. I do completely clean and inspect them every few years.
__________________
Smart People do Stupid things all the time. I know, I've seen me do'em.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 AM
RV6_flyer's Avatar
RV6_flyer RV6_flyer is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NC25
Posts: 3,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
There probably isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to your question, but I suggest you take a look at your wheel bearings. If they are not showing any sign of wear, grease is still clean and hasn't started drying out, and you don't want to clean/repack every year, service the bearings and then service based on condition instead of time. But at least look at them each year. Some will say it doesn't take much more time to clean and regrease......so, whatever is your preference.

I've never found dirt and grit in my bearings but this could be dependent on where a particular plane is operated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
At risk of sounding like a childrens book; I follow Sam, Sam I follow I am....
(Sam is on my short list of "experts" that if I see respond to a post, I read it. Mel, Dan, Iron, Walt, etc... I read em....)

I pack them when the wheels are off if they need it. Out with the old grease, in with the new. I believe the bulk of any contaminant will depart with the old grease. I do completely clean and inspect them every few years.
Ditto.

I do likewise. I repack by hand every time I change tires. As needed when ever the wheel is off. I stay away from solvent as much a possible and only use it IF it needs it.
__________________
Gary A. Sobek
NC25 RV-6
Flying
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:07 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.