Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 07:49 PM

Default Our Experiment: Lord Adhesive vs. Weld-On

On our -10 we have one door window installed with Weld-On and all other windows installed with Lord adhesive. We've noticed a few areas around the weld-on window where the surface is raised at the window gap. (the Lord adhesive windows are all fine) This gap was sanded real well before I applied the filler (no glass) and was smooth at first flight. I have some speculation that it was caused by a quick change from hot temps on the ground to pretty cool temps at altitude.

https://n42bu.com/
Old 09-25-2012, 11:05 PM

I had the right one pop loose and suck air in that same spot (weld-on). Got the old window "almost" out and cracked it. Nothing 20 hours and a couple hundred bucks won't fix.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:04 AM

With the flimsy doors, curvature mismatch, coefficent of expansion and one support strut it does not help. I used weld-on 45. No delamination yet, but plenty of cracking. Are you noticing any cracking yet?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:17 AM

I used sika adhesive, probably a mistake. It has too much elasticity. It looks good now, but I suspect when it sees some really hot temps it will show. When I had it in the paint booth, we took it to 140 degrees and saw one area of flex. It appears the lord adhesive, along with a couple of layers of glass cloth, seems to be the ticket
First Flight Oct 2012
Aviation Partners, LLC

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill.Peyton View Post
It appears the lord adhesive, along with a couple of layers of glass cloth, seems to be the ticket
That's what I did, but since I'm just going to the paint shop, it's too early to tell if I made the correct decision. I also didn't attempt to sand the fiberglass down to a feather edge either so that it would retain as much strength as possible to resist the cracking. The 1/32" - 1/16" step may not win me any awards at OSH, but I know my windows are firmly secured.

bob
Old 09-27-2012, 09:13 AM

330 Hrs in below 0 degrees F to over 100F with the lord 7545A/E and no cracks. Just FYI

Geoff
Rans S21
Old 09-27-2012, 09:23 AM

Default Stock + fabric

I used the Weld-on per the plans, but added a ~1" wide layer of 3 oz fiberglass over the joint. After finishing and sanding, I don't think there was much of the fiberglass left, but it was still visible. After paint, no visible joint at all. Now, after 200 hours since February and temperatures from below 0 to 105 deg F, I see a little "gap" if you look at it in the correct light. It actually looks like a little bump or sag perhaps in the paint right at the joint. But you have to look hard and at the right angle to see it and the paint has not cracked. I'll be watching it but fairly happy so far. If I did it again I'd probably go with the Lord, though.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:34 AM

Default fabric?

Is the point of the transition strips to cover the gap from the window to the cabin top, or is the glass being used as a structural piece to help hold the window in place?

If the transition strips are just for covering the gap, I'm curious if anyone has ever used/considered using strips of polyfiber or similar to cover the transition. The polyfiber system has a much larger flex factor than fiberglass. Thoughts?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:49 AM

Default Structure

Maybe a little of both as I understand it. The fabric provides a substrate for the paint to adhere to that is less likely to stretch when the differential expansion of the plexi and fiberglass occurs. The gap seems to still appear but the paint hasn't cracked - so far.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:21 AM

Default Another data point....

When the rollover structure static tests were done to failure, side windows were literally shattered and blown out (there is a small dent in the side of Van's airport car to prove it )
Post test examination showed that anyplace the windows were attached to the door frame or cabin top, it was still bonded, with just the center portion fractured/shattered. The only way to remove the bonded area was to grind it off.