Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 09:19 AM

Default New Garmin ADSB - Portable and Wireless

Today Garmin announced their new portable bluetooth ADSB receiver, the GDL 39 includes a built in WAAS GPS receiver (which by the way can send the GPS data to your Ipad). Incldues both traffic and weather info (except for the 496 which is traffic only), is portable and can display on the G3X, Garmin Pilot App/Ipad, most of the portables, and note that Bluetooth support will be added to the 795/796 later. Price is $799, but includes a whole lot of goodies. More details are available here at the Garmin website.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:31 AM

Default 496

Shame no weather on the 496 (built into my panel) as it would have been the perfect upgrade path to drop the XM subscription, assume the receiver is wired to the rs 232 bus for the traffic. Does it work with Foreflight for the gps position and weather (I have a wifi ipad)
Old 07-16-2012, 09:36 AM

I'd love to see a demo on the 500 series Aera from anyone going to OSH.

RV-7 Sold
RV-4 - Flying - O-320 Fixed Pitch - Red over Yellow

Old 07-16-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_figs View Post
Shame no weather on the 496 (built into my panel) as it would have been the perfect upgrade path to drop the XM subscription, assume the receiver is wired to the rs 232 bus for the traffic. Does it work with Foreflight for the gps position and weather (I have a wifi ipad)
Indeed, I'd like to know why they wouldn't make this compatible with the 496.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 AM

I don't know about Foreflight, but my own guess would be no...since they have their own pretty good app (and I think you get 3 free mo's of it when you buy the ADSB box). Regarding the 496, it's a discontinued product that is built on technology and also introduced almost a decade ago (and is technically several generations behind), so I'm also not entirely surprised they wouldn't expend a lot of R&D on either of the aformentioned issues. I don't all the details of the bits/bytes, but perhaps one of the Garmin guys will jump in here to explain in more detail.

Not taking sides or speaking for anyone, just reasoning it out in my own mind. FYI, there is a box coming out for the certified installs as well, but not until later in the year and at a much higher price. There was also a new weather radar announced, but at the price of a new Lycoming I'm guessing most of us won't want one!

Cheers,
Stein
Old 07-16-2012, 10:14 AM

I have a 496 and a 396 installed in two different panels and they still work great, but can't upgrade since they're physically installed and don't have the room for any of the larger portables. I would buy two in a heartbeat if they would make them compatible.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:14 AM

Stein,

Is this the promissed affordable ADS-B solution for the G3X or is there more to come?

I ask because this solution still requires a separate ADS-B out device to be compliant for the future and to get full use of the traffic.

So the bottom line is will we still need a 330ES type xponder or a third party ADS-B xmitter or is there more in the works for the G3X system?
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 AM

Default Upgrade options

The Garmin approach is attractive because it drives their portable units which are much easier to read in the RV cockpit than the iPad, I assume the unit will drive the display data in a similar fashion to the XM input (i.e wind speed/direction, METARs etc) and I also assume that you do not need to upgrade the the **6 versions as you will not need the XM antenna (unless you want the music ). If the gps input via bluetooth uses the ios profile I also assume it will drive ios gps apps (MotionX etc) which should therefore allow it to drive current position on Foreflight, Skychartpro etc. The Garmin App does not get great reviews on the app store.
The Aera 500 series would fit in the 496 space but again does not get great reviews on VAF for cockpit readability so you are up to 695/795 size portable which means a panel redo in my case.
If you go that route you have to look at the 795 due to the 695 soon suffering the same obsolescence issues as the 496, net result being about $3000 for the upgrade which is about 75 months of XM subscription and that is assuming that XM will not counter the free weather and offer a cheaper subscription to keep their subscriber base.
For those of us who do not have unlimited funds it does not seem like an easy call, a 496 weather input would have been a no brainer.
My guess is that I will find even more options next week
Old 07-16-2012, 11:04 AM

I'm waiting to see what Dynon has up their sleeve after Oshkosh. I'm installing the Skyview with all the bells and whistles, including the ADS-B out transponder. I called Dynon last week to ask about future ADS-B out capabilities, and the guy I talked to (can't remember his name) seemed to hint that more on this subject is coming out soon. I hope Dynon steps up to the plate and offers something to compete with Garmin.
=VAF= donor 2021
Old 07-16-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Stein,

Is this the promissed affordable ADS-B solution for the G3X or is there more to come?

I ask because this solution still requires a separate ADS-B out device to be compliant for the future and to get full use of the traffic.

So the bottom line is will we still need a 330ES type xponder or a third party ADS-B xmitter or is there more in the works for the G3X system?
If you end up with the G3X and the GTX23 (the low price one) remote txpdr which most folks get with the G3X system, then you're covered anyway. That being said, here is some of the verbiage from their website:

The GDL 39 can receive ADS-B position reports directly from other aircrafts in your vicinity. Because the FAA permits ADS-B broadcasts on 2 frequencies (978 UAT and 1090 ES), the GDL 39 contains both receivers so you can see a comprehensive view of all ADS-B ?Out? equipped targets. The compatible display? will alert you by announcing traffic targets both audibly and visually. Spoken audio alerts announce ?Traffic, Traffic? to get you looking right away.

ADS-B ?In? technology also allows the GDL 39 to receive Traffic Information Service-Broadcast (TIS-B) information. TIS-B allows you to view the same dynamic traffic picture that ATC ground controllers are seeing when you're either participating with an ADS-B "Out" solution or within a certain range of another ADS-B "Out" participating aircraft when within a service area. Garmin correlation technology automatically displays the highest-integrity traffic data from multiple sources, preventing ghost or duplicate targets.

Cheers,
Stein