Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 12:59 PM

Default Anybody switch from Kitlog to web-based log system?

I've been using Kitlog-Pro since I started building 4 years ago. It's fine, but there have been zero improvements to it and it's tied to Windows. I want to switch from Kitlog to a logging system that is web-centric...and am hoping somebody else has made the switch and can advise. I'm conversant with computers and have thought of writing my own SQL to dump the Kitlog data into a generic format and then uploading to a website but would prefer to avoid the work, if there is a path already trodden.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:11 PM

My wife dose this for a living, so I kinda cheted by being married to a web master. It is a lot of work (for her) but I like to share what I am doing with family and friends, and anyone here, I like to share my mistakes and give back what I have learned from my own goof ups.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsy2 View Post
but there have been zero improvements to it and it's tied to Windows.

Funny, I emailed them two years ago asking and recommending they develop smartphone app. They replied they don't have one and have no plans to develop one. Obviously, they are sticking to that archaic mentality. I wouldn't expect them to survive much longer.

The art to flying lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:49 PM

I started with Kitlog, and it quickly had me wanting to do outside and kick puppies. I switched to Expercraft, much more user-friendly.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:56 PM

I haven't started actually building yet, but I decided to go with a Wordpress-powered blog. As best I can tell, there's not a plugin out there for handling time logging, so I'm just going to write one myself. (It helps that this is what I do for a living) If I come up with a plugin that's relatively user-friendly, I'll share it with the community.

Nice thing bout the WP blog is that I can either add/edit using the web interface, or use a desktop platform. (I've been playing with MarsEdit for OSX)

http://rv.squawk1200.net
Old 03-08-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N546RV View Post
I haven't started actually building yet, but I decided to go with a Wordpress-powered blog. As best I can tell, there's not a plugin out there for handling time logging, so I'm just going to write one myself. (It helps that this is what I do for a living) If I come up with a plugin that's relatively user-friendly, I'll share it with the community.

Nice thing bout the WP blog is that I can either add/edit using the web interface, or use a desktop platform. (I've been playing with MarsEdit for OSX)

http://rv.squawk1200.net
I took the cheap approach in Wordpress, just using two wordpress Custom Fields for "hours-worked" and "rivets-bucked". So when creating a post, I just pick the field from the dropdown, and type the number. Then these numbers are easy to display in the templates where ever I want them...for example, the most recent line here.

Assuming you don't mind editing your templates, of course. Or, that page above is just a "Page" and I have the Exec-PHP plugin, so I can just drop in "<?php echo get_post_meta(get_the_ID(), 'rivets-bucked', TRUE); ?>" and be done.

However. I do web/online/computers all day. I've since pretty much reverted to a paper notebook.
-Rick Greer, VAF #2492

Last edited by DCat22 : 03-08-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:01 PM

I took a super easy route to my building record, I just took pictures of my progress and I don't mean an entire photo album. I had approx 4 pictures per sheet of paper with a total of 20 pages and this was more than adequate for the local FAA MIDO Inspector.

Now I do really enjoy the individuals who do a very detailed build record and post it on the web to assist others, this method was just not for me.

Build it light and cheap
Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 PM

For those going the Wordpress route, I do a lot of blogging and include pictures. The vast majority of the time I take pictures with my smartphone and compose an email with the picture. My Wordpress blogs (yes, plural yikes) all have the Postie plugin for really convenient "blog by email".

While I do not use custom fields, there is a plugin for that too ("Custom Shortcodes")

Wordpress is really a "content management system" and not just for blogging.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCat22 View Post
I took the cheap approach in Wordpress, just using two wordpress Custom Fields for "hours-worked" and "rivets-bucked". So when creating a post, I just pick the field from the dropdown, and type the number. Then these numbers are easy to display in the templates where ever I want them...for example, the most recent line here.

Assuming you don't mind editing your templates, of course. Or, that page above is just a "Page" and I have the Exec-PHP plugin, so I can just drop in "<?php echo get_post_meta(get_the_ID(), 'rivets-bucked', TRUE); ?>" and be done.

However. I do web/online/computers all day. I've since pretty much reverted to a paper notebook.
Yeah, I haven't really thought it through, but I figured I'd use a custom field to store hours worked per post. I also wanted the ability to have a summary page, showing total hours worked, and also hours broken down by post category. When I originally conceptualized it, I took a lot at the WP database scheme and formed a rough idea of how to query for the data like I wanted, but I haven't sat down and really hammered it out yet.

Part of the reason for that is my love-hate relationship with WP. On the one hand, the user interface is wonderful, and install is easy. On the other hand, speaking as a Web developer, the guts of it are absolutely hideous and a royal PITA to work with.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 PM

Default Blogspot

I use blogspot.com . It's simple, fast, and the iPhone app is great.
Builder #40919
Fort Worth, TX
www.iRV10.com
EAA Chapter 34
http://www.eaa34.org/index.htm