- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:31 PM

Default RV-8 build begins...

Vans shipped the empennage kit pronto, I've been at it since it arrived last Friday. Inventory was perfect. I really like the method of rivets in little plastic see-through bags clearly marked instead of the original lunch bag method.

Love the way this thing goes together and most impressed with the .032 HS skins, this airplane is no wimp. The plan is easy to follow and the parts fit. Still think about the RV-3 but I probably wound not have enough life time remaining to complete it. This was a good decision.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2019 This place is worth it!

Last edited by David-aviator : 02-02-2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: ...editing...
Old 01-18-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-aviator View Post
Love the way this thing goes together and most impressed with the .032 HS skins...
You are a constant surprise Dave.

You would be even more impressed with those .032 HS skins if you found out the left and right HS skins are completely interchangeable. I should know because after dimpling etc, I accidentally swapped em and did not discover the error of my ways until the left skin was almost completely riveted into place on the right side of the structure. After a moment of horror, I discovered not one single hole on either skin had to be wallowed out to get the skins to line up and fit. Matched hole technology is a true wonder.

With the RV building experience you have behind you now, if it takes more than three weeks to complete that empennage including the fiberglass, you are wasting time. No kidding.
EAA Technical Counselor

Last edited by Rick6a : 01-19-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:57 AM

Default RV-8 build ...

Dave - looks great. I too recently began my RV-8A. After 64 hours of build time since Christmas I am amazed at how well it goes together. My biggest hold-up so far has been waiting for the right weather to prime parts since I don't have the space for a good paint booth.
N-251WM
Garmin G3X/GTN-650/Dynon D6/GTX-23ES/TruTrak GX Pilot/GDL-39
Eagle XTREEM I0-360-B1HD2 (dual P-mags)

Last edited by Strike69 : 01-19-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 AM

Default Some 33 hours later...

It's been an interesting week beginning the RV-8 project. All went well although the time involved could have been less, a lot less.

At the point of riveting the inside ribs and flanges, I neglected to un-cleco and set aside the aft spar until the left HS was completed. It was a bear reaching around the aft spar and then I noticed in the plan said "reinstall the aft spar and rivet". Dumb The right inside rivet job was a snap.

The construction sequence as per section 6 is very well thought out. All of the -4 rivets were set with the pneumatic or hand squeezer. Only bucking was the inside -3 rivets.

Construction of VS begins today.

RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
Old 01-23-2012, 10:22 AM

Default Order your next kit now!

Some of the next items have longer lead times, order now or you will be pacing in your shop making airplane noises :-)
Whirlwind RV200
Dual PMags

Pitts S-1S Restoration in process!

Minneapolis, MN
Old 01-23-2012, 02:37 PM

David,

Your HS look great, and I am amazed at your building speed.
Just curious, may I ask.. What kind of primer are you using?

From the first pic I see you match-drilled with the blue plastic on the
inside of the skins, I was told to remove it ..Does it matter?

Yep..you better order the wing kit soon
Old 01-23-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbird View Post
David,

Your HS look great, and I am amazed at your building speed.
Just curious, may I ask.. What kind of primer are you using?

From the first pic I see you match-drilled with the blue plastic on the
inside of the skins, I was told to remove it ..Does it matter?

Yep..you better order the wing kit soon
The primer is NAPA 7220 self etching. Many guys here are using it, bought it on sale locally for $5.95 about 2 weeks ago.

I leave the blue stuff on until it is ready to prime. I don't think it matters.

I really screwed up though with the exterior 3/4" strip removal along the rivet lines. It was removed before dimple and dimple thingy put a few scratches on the surface during that process. They will be sanded/buffed out. It was a dumb mistake. Today I dimpled the VS skin with the blue stuff in place and there aren't any scratches at all.

The VS goes really quick, got all the holes drilled, de-burred, cleaned, and the parts are primed and drying right now. Should have the riveting finished by late tomorrow.

Yea, I need to get on the stick and order another kit - before February 1.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
Old 01-23-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-aviator View Post
... Today I dimpled the VS skin with the blue stuff in place and there aren't any scratches at all. ...
Have you checked how well a rivet fits the dimple after you remove the vinyl? IIRC, the instructions say you can match and final drill with the vinyl in place, but recommend removing it before dimpling. I had trouble deburring adequately with the vinyl in place, so I started removing it right after drilling/disassembly.

On my prevous project, I used a C-frame tool to dimple skins, and because it took both hands to make the dimple (one to hold the ram against the skin, the other to wield the hammer), I found it easiest to place the male die on the anvil so the skin was perfectly located before lowering the ram, in turn requiring the skin to be face down. I had to be very careful to look for the male die through the hole before lowering skin onto it. Now, with the DRDT-2, I put the male die in the ram, and I can now see exactly where the (face up) skin has to go before the die touches it. I'm at least twice as fast and have lots fewer scratches.

Construction Log
Empennage Album, Wings Album, Fuselage Album

1955 Cessna 170B flying since 1982

'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' -Unk.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:53 PM

Default dimples and scratches

I agree with Miles in that I would dimple with the plastic off. The best way to check this is comparing it with the rivets set in the finished product. This can be done by either doing several side by side each way (with plastic on and off while dimpling) or comparing two seperate surfaces that were done each way (after final riveting). When I say check, I mean taking the blue stuff off around the area (not just a small strip), put it under the light and comparing where it's shiny silver and seeing if any imperfection (or differences) show up. You can also take a paper towel between your fingers and the rivets, and move it over the rivets lightly. The paper towel exasterbates any imperfections your fingers might feel. Anal, yes, and some might think this is overboard or whatever....to each their own, but you'll know whether there's a difference ...............and there will be, though not gross.

I had the same small scratches on many holes when trying to find the dimple die. If you are going to paint your surface area, it won't matter because it's going to get scratched on purpose (with Scotchbrite pad or sand paper) when it comes time for painting, and it will blend right in and you won't be able to tell at all. If you want it polished alum, then a whole different ball game and it is a big deal.

Last edited by db8 : 01-25-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:09 PM

It's been 2 weeks since the empennage kit arrived and after some 53 hours of work it is beginning to look like an airplane may be emerging from all the parts and rivets with the help of a very good plan. This was the state of progress as of 2 days ago.

The rudder is coming along and should be completed tomorrow. The stiffeners were trimmed, primed and installed yesterday, and all the other parts were drilled, de-burred, cleaned up and primed today. I continue to be most satisfied at how well all this is progressing. Am about out of NAPA 7220 primer and need to get some more.

Yes, the wing and fuselage kits were ordered - the elevators won't take long to build. This project is a good winter time passer.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261