- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:05 PM

Default Harris Ranch NYE Party

Flying to a New Year's Eve party doesn't seem like a great idea, but it works pretty well at Harris Ranch. They put on a NYE package deal that includes a room, private cocktail party with an open bar all night, a spectacular steak and lobster dinner, and dancing until well after midnight to a live band. Located in the middle of California's central valley, Harris Ranch is an easy reach from the Bay Area to the north, or LA to the south. This is our third NYE in a row and despite sketchy weather forecasts, we've found the airport (3O8) to be easily VFR every time.

Here we are, all tied down and ready to party!

For the last three years, the weather forecasts have indicated poor visibility, and popping over the mountains into the central valley, it would seem to be the case. However...

...A look over the side shows that it's just a thin scuzzy layer that really isn't bad at all. In this shot, we're about 30 miles out. Contrast this to the visibility on the ground in the lead picture.

Within just minutes of check in, a knock on the door brings a nice little snack tray and a bottle of bubbly to pass the time as you get ready for the cocktail party...

...and in case you get hungry while socializing and consuming your favorite top shelf beverage, there is this selection of appetizers. All the meat, cheese, crab legs, shrimp, etc, that you can eat.

Following the spectacular lobster tail and steak fillet dinner, there's dancing, more cocktails and plenty of socializing.

As I said earlier, this is our third year flying in for NYE and we're looking forward to next year. The airport is in great shape, the resort is outstanding, and the food is... Well, let's just say they know how to cook a steak!

Overall it is a very high quality evening from start to finish, and we consider the package price of $450 per couple to be a solid value.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C

Last edited by Toobuilder : 01-01-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:15 PM

Default One of my memorable places as well

It looks like you had fun. Whenever I have had an opportunity I have chosen Harris Ranch for possibly the best steak anywhere. We stayed overnight after the motel was first opened and the quality was outstanding - it was so good that I wondered if it was in part to establish a reputation.

Bob Axsom
Old 01-01-2012, 04:26 PM

It's a funny thing Bob, you just wouldn't expect such a beautiful resort out in the middle of nowhere like that. Many people outside California now know about their steaks, but the resort seems to be a well kept secret. It's so far beyond the typical roadside lodge that it defies belief.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 01-01-2012, 05:25 PM

Outstanding. Will have to put that on my list. Brings back fond memories. In a C152, Harris Ranch was my very first passenger flight after getting my Private back in 04 or so. After filing my flight plan, I still remember FSS telling me, "Have a great steak!" My passenger didnt eat beef, so she had a chicken dish while i had steak of course. The steak was great, but that was the best chicken i have ever tasted. I vowed to go back to get my own dish but never did.

Now that I am flying once again, Harris Ranch is again on my list of destinations! Thanks for the reminder!

PS. I think all of In-n-out's burgers are made with Harris ranch beef. In-n-out does all their ground beef in-house then ships out never frozen patties.

http://www.californiaweekend.com/cal...ris-ranch.html
#40533 RV-10 Builder and CFI
1/2006 Started build
10/19/2011 First flight
Old 01-02-2012, 01:41 PM

I had the Rib eye sandwich that day. It was Veeery good
Old 01-02-2012, 07:53 PM

Smile Next year fly in

Sounds like a great place for a RV gathering.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:45 PM

Well, for those who have less than full spousal support for the typical $100 hamburgers, this just might change her mind. It is a way to combine flying and show her a very nice night out.

A "win/win"...

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 11-11-2012, 11:24 AM

Resurrecting this thread because its the start of the Holliday season and we just received our Harris Ranch NYE party invite in the mail. We're going to book, so I figured if any of you were on the fence... Here's your reminder! Details here: http://www.harrisranch.com/stay_specialpackages.php

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C

Last edited by Toobuilder : 11-11-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:08 PM

Funny, I just landed there saturday to pick up a passenger in the Sky Hawk. Never heard about that party, sounds like fun! narrow runway.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:20 PM

Yep, we're booked again! Hope the weather does its normal thing and we can fly (have not needed to drive yet!)

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C