Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2011, 08:14 AM

Default My knee is killing me ?Theater Knees or Chondromalacia?

After being out of flying for 6 years I want to get back into it and I?d like to get into a Vans or a Rocket.

I?m suffering from what my Doctor calls Theater Knees or ?Chondromalacia? After a couple of hours sitting in my Viper my right knee is killing me and I need to get out of the car.

Of the Van?s AC what one would allow me to have a straighter leg extension? The more my knee is bent the worse it is. If I wrap my knee and pull the knee cap to the side this does help and gives me maybe another 30 mins or so. I?m 54 yrs old at 5?11?, 205 pds decent shape and I still lightly exercise 5 days a week. I?m thinking the 30 years of heavy weight training has done its damage and now I?m paying the price.

I like the centerline seating of the RV4 or the RV8 but maybe the side by side would be better.

Anyone out there suffering from this and what are you flying?

Thanks

Tim
Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 AM

Hi Tim:

Although never officially diagnosed, I used to suffer from the same thing.

You are very close to my size (6'0" and 192lbs). I can stretch my legs all the way out in my -7A. The great thing about the side-by-side RVs is you can turn a little sideways if necessary to stretch out your legs. When I'm solo and in cruise I'll frequently move my right leg over to the other side and stretch out.

I would recommend that you go sit in an RV that has been configured for someone about your same size.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:10 AM

I suspect the side by side seating arrangement of the 6, 7, or 9 would provide you with better leg extension/more area for your feet to go.
Wings-In Progress
N568AK Reserved
SOLD?but I'll be back
Old 12-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riobison View Post
After a couple of hours sitting in my Viper my right knee is killing me and I need to get out of the car.
Don't push on the gas pedal so hard.
Wings-In Progress
N568AK Reserved
SOLD?but I'll be back
Old 12-06-2011, 09:29 AM

Tim, after years of abuse and surgeries, my knees are seldom happy with me either. I have an -8 and have to move my legs around quite often to avoid cramping up. There's enough room between the rudder pedals for me to extend my legs (one at a time, admittedly) and prevent problems. I certainly wouldn't rule out a tandem model for that reason.

Builder: RV-8 "Smokey"
Old 12-06-2011, 10:07 AM

Tim, When I was about your age I had the same problem. Although I never had it diagnosed by a doctor, I could not fly a long time without pain in both my knees. Someone suggested taking the joint supplement glucosamine so I started taking it on a daily basis and no longer have that problem. Check with your doctor and see if he thinks that is a good idea. It may not work for you but then again it may.

Dan
Old 12-06-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riobison View Post
....I like the centerline seating of the RV4 or the RV8 but maybe the side by side would be better.....
Tim,

I am fortunate to fly a side by side (-6A) and a tandem RV (-8). While either configuration is comfortable to me, I do prefer the optional cockpit adjustable rudder pedals I installed in the -8. Sometimes you just want to stretch out your legs. Some guys say the cockpit adjustable option is not really needed because (they assume) that once the pedals are adjusted to suit, are rarely moved from that position. WRONG. On a whim, in cruise flight I can pull on the lanyard and shove the pedals forward to stretch out my legs. At 5'9" I am not all that tall so when the pedals are against the firewall, I can just barely reach them. But thats okay because that forwardmost position frees up the floor space and allows me to straighten out my legs fully which as you know can provide temporary relief for aching knees. I suggest that before you pull the trigger on a specific RV model, do yourself a favor and check out the cockpit adjustable rudder pedal arrangement for yourself.

EAA Technical Counselor
Old 12-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

I also have intermittent knee pain, and the glucosamine and condroitin really helps for me.

Good luck

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 12-06-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick6a View Post
Some guys say the cockpit adjustable option is not really needed because (they assume) that once the pedals are adjusted to suit, are rarely moved from that position.
IMHO, The adjustable rudder pedals in the -8 ought to be standard, not optional.

In the RV-8 in my avatar, the owner is around 6'4" and flies with the pedals nearly all the way forward. I have short legs and need to have them full aft. The adjustability is a godsend.

There is a lot of legroom in the -8 with the pedals full forward. I'm only 5'7" and with the pedals full forward, my feet cannot reach them.

Last edited by Neal@F14 : 12-06-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:54 AM

Hmm... I have never heard of that before, but the description tells me all I need to know. I have the same issue. I just never thought of getting it diagnosed.

I'm 6'2" x 230 and despite my frame, I really like to be up close to the controls. If I'm driving, I'm up closer to the wheel than you think. If I'm flying I'm further forward than you think. I just don't like being away from the controls and reaching out. I can feel the vehicle more if I'm up on the controls and not sitting back with my limbs extended near their limits.

But this has resulted in a lot of knee pain over the years. I can temporarily relieve it by sliding my seat back and extending my legs, but if I can get out and walk for a good 15-30 minutes I'm good.

I learned something today. I don't think you can get more room than the RV-10, so that's a good thing for me.