What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3: Magic Baffles

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
If you built a set of engine baffles for your RV back before, oh?.let?s say five years ago, you are probably going to either not believe me, or be ticked off?..but we have pretty much finished building and fitting the baffles for the RV-3 in about 30 hours of work. I?ll tell you ? this pre-punched baffle kit that Van?s sells these days is absolutely remarkable ? in fact, it must be magic! And the magic is ? it just ?fits!

I?ll tell you, between the CAD design the match-hole parts, and the completely readable instructions, I think anyone could actually build these things now ? no art required. What used to take a tremendous amount of trial and error trimming fitting now just bolts right up to the engine and snaps in place. All the holes for bolts line right up. And even the ramps are easy to bend and fit.

Yes, it probably helps to have built some baffles before so that you know where you are headed, but Louise did most of the work on this set, and I was only looking over her shoulder and occasionally working on a few custom bits (like the oil cooler mount). We did have to do some design work on the left rear corner to make the oil cooler mount fit inside the RV-3 cowl (and to make it strong enough to tow the airplane by if required), but having the side and rear panels fit the IO-320 right out of the box was a huge advantage. Because of the small size of the RV-3, it took some pretty aggressive trimming to fit the top of the kit to the cowl, but fortunately, we had some great pictures of that award-winning -3 from Oshkosh to let us know that were ?in the box?.

All that?s left now are a few penetrations for plug wires and blast tubes, and maybe a little paint (haven?t decided yet ? I usually go with bare aluminum, but these are turning out so nice?..). When I have finished baffles in the past, I was so glad to get them shoe-horned on to the engine that the last thing I ever wanted to do was remove them for finishing. These ? I can remove and install them in about five minutes, and re-install them just about as quick ? and truthfully, there will be almost no silicone required for sealing ? yes, they fit THAT WELL. Here are a few pictures from along the way:

The pre-punched kit even nails the location of the oil cooler line ? exactly!
IMG_5894.JPG

The oil cooler needs to hang quite low to clear the cheek cowls on the RV-3 ? in fact, it needs to hang below the bottom of the baffles, requiring a plenum be built. This was easily down with some scrap Z-Channel and 0.050? aluminum.
IMG_5887.JPG

These curved corner baffles help fill the corners that interface with the cowl inlets and cut down on the baffle seal problem. They have to be custom-built, but the instructions are clear, and they don?t take long.
IMG_5913.JPG

Our build log says it took about 20 person-hours to get to this point after opening the baffle kit box. That included the custom oil cooler corner and plenum.
IMG_5914.JPG

For final clearance trimming, we used the paper-clip trick ? works like a champ!
IMG_5916.JPG

Paul

Paint the baffles!

Paul,

You and Louise are doing such a great job on that -3 why not paint them?

Painting them will add more icing on that already beautiful cake!!!

Regards,

Paul, I'm getting ready to install the baffles on my 6A. What do you use to cut the baffles when trimming them to heighth? Do you trim them in place or remove them to trim on a band saw?

Thanks,

Steve

Paul, I'm getting ready to install the baffles on my 6A. What do you use to cut the baffles when trimming them to heighth? Do you trim them in place or remove them to trim on a band saw?

Thanks,

Steve

We (mostly) trimmed in place using hand shears until we had it just clear of the cowling - that is really fast, and saves hours of removing and replacing. Then once we cleared the cowl, we used the paper-clip trick to draw the final height line, removed them, and cut that line on the band saw, finishing with the belt sander and scotcbrite wheel to make a nice smooth edge.

The biggest benefit is using the snips to get it rougly close - saves a ton of time!

Paul

Paul, what baffle kit did you purchase from Van's? I can't imagine he had one just for the three....

When I re-engined my C180, I had the baffles powder-coated white. That was roughly 500 hours ago and they've held up very well - no rubbing, no paint damage, no heat damage.

The main issue is that when they get dirty it's difficult to clean them off. I expect that if I used a pressure washer that would do it, though.

One of the side advantages is that in back and underneath, they reflect enough light to assist inspections. Not a lot but it all helps.

I don't remember if I asked the powder-coater to use a high-temp paint, but I might have.

Dave

Paul, what baffle kit did you purchase from Van's? I can't imagine he had one just for the three....

I'd have to go look up the invoice, but I asked for the "Pre-punched O-320 kit". I think it is NOT the one for the 3/4, actually - it is about forty or fifty bucks more - but well worth it!

All baffle kits have to be trimmed to fit the cowl - I wanted one that fit the engine well!

Paul

Neal, that's very pretty work. I'm guessing it's on an RV-7? You might want to post it over in the RV-7 forum to help builders looking for examples on that model. They aren't as likely to find it here in the RV-3 forum.

Oops

Neal, that's very pretty work. I'm guessing it's on an RV-7? You might want to post it over in the RV-7 forum to help builders looking for examples on that model. They aren't as likely to find it here in the RV-3 forum.

Didn't even notice it was the 3 forum. Moved to 7. Thx

"paper-clip trick" for dummies !?...

...Then once we cleared the cowl, we used the paper-clip trick to draw the final height line, removed them, and cut that line on the band saw...
Paul

What do you mean by "paper-clip trick" ?....I just can't figure out what you're doing with those clips once the cowl is cleared....if it's been cleared !?.....

Back