What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Super RV-6

wings05rv6a

Just exactly what is a Vans super 6. How Much work and cost. Pictures and ideas would be fun to talk about. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Bob Wieczorek
RV6A still working on the paint

Thicker skins, chopped wings, IO-540, stretched fuse are a few of the mods. 250mph with a grin a mile wide.

Here's Bob's Super 6 with Brent T's RV-4.
_CRH5046.jpg

Jawbone in the lead. I think this was the first Super 6 and was the first 4 seat RV.
carl.jpg

I flew with Bob..

Super -6 is a misnomer! It really is a WHAM-BAM, THANK YOU MA'AM pocket rocket, with 300 HP!! It accelerates like a carrier launch and cruises at VNE!! Climbs approach 3,000 FPM:eek:

They add around 8" to the cowl to accomodate the Lycoming 6 cylinder and so, usually add 8-10 inches to the rear fuselage for CG purposes. Usually the tail surfaces have thicker skins as well.

The wings are shortened by one bay but all the ribs are used, just spaced closer together.

I believe that there are a half dozen or so flying.

Kahuna, from Atlanta, flies a Super -8 that he built....also IO-540 equipped.

Truth be known, John Harmon started this by shoe-horning an IO-540 in a -4 and it became the Harmon Rocket. Various iterations followed.

Best,

Last edited:
Back